error in upgrade from 5.0.3 to 5.7

I did upgrade from confluence 5.0.3 to 5.7 in my local (using 32-bit windows installer) and now I am not able to run the server, it's not working. I was able to upgrade successfully to 5.0.3 from 3.4.9, using the following path:

3.4.9 -> 3.5.17 -> 4.3.0 -> 5.0.3

Can we not directly upgrade to 5.7 from 5.0.3 and if not then, what should I do now? Do I have to do everything fro the start?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

In theory you can from 5.0 to 5.7.  So the first question is "what is going wrong with what you are doing"?

Oh no, I think it's because my admin rights have been revoked on the system. I think that is why the upgrade failed. Do I have to do everything from scratch now?

I'm not sure where you have lost admin - the OS or Confluence. I think you need to read the log file to find out what the root cause of the failure is, and yes, you will probably need to re-run it.

admin rights on OS and by re-run you mean from 3.4.9 to 5.7?

Possibly. Depends on where it went wrong. If 3.4.9 -> 3.5.17 worked fine, then you could start at 3.5.17. It all depends on where it went wrong and what went wrong. You'll need to consult the logs to work that out.

2 votes

Hello Shelly,

Can you confirm what database you're using on your Confluence? If you are using SQL Server, it could be related to collation.

I'd recommend you to check the logs or to raise a ticket on our support channel (https://support.atlassian.com) attaching a Support Zip to the ticket so we can check the logs. smile

Eduardo

Shelly, To extend Eduardo's comment, collation is also at issue with MySQL. The pain with that is why I have my DB on PostreSQL now. mike

Hi Shelly,

According to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Supported+Platforms Confluence does not support 32 bit System.

• Why did you choose 32 bit Installer at first Place.
  • If it is SQL Server, Please check the collation of the database, It should be  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS
  • Also there is a chance of Upgrade being slow/hanging with SQL Server

The workaround for this is to switch to from jdbc to datasource. Please rollback to Confluence 5.0.3 and follow the workaround to upgrade Confluence using standalone files.

1. Rollback to Confluence 5.0.3
  2. Extract the installation files.
  3. After you set the new installation files to point your current <Confluence HOME> directory run the steps in this guide to switch from jdbc to datasource.
     Backup all the modified files.
  4. Start Confluence again.
  5. Start Upgrade to 5.7
  6. After the upgrade, validate if Confluence is working.
  7. Shutdown the app and change back to jdbc.
  8. Start Confluence again.

If you have any other questions or concerns please attach log files.

Please do vote if you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Chander Inguva

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

58 views 3 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you