Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

edit page but keep its url

I would like to edit a Confluence page title, but I also want to keep its url: many people bookmarked pages and I don't want to break them. 

Can I edit a page title but keep the previous url? (there's no special characters in title, so the page url looks like https://myConfluenceServer/display/foo/the+page+title)

Thx!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey Community Leader Feb 10, 2021

In reality, even if they have bookmarked a page whose title has changed, Confluence will try to suggest where the page has moved to. It works pretty well in my experience. After the user has been redirected, they can update their bookmarks.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the title as you see fit

Perfect! This is good to know. Thank you!

1 vote
Answer accepted

Not the "friendly name" - the friendly name of a page is always derived from the page's title.  Change the title, change the url.

But Confluence pages do have a fixed id and the url that you get if you do include special characters in a title will work for it because it is based on the id, and if you look in the page properties, a short link that does not change.

Thomas Bowskill Community Leader Feb 10, 2021

@jonathanlermitage you can also hit the ellipsis (...) and view the Page Information section to get a Tiny URL that is immutable (doesn't change when you change the page name) -- I use that when circulating pages to people in my business.

Thx for your help.

At least, I can ask people to edit their bookmarks to use tiny urls, then I will rename pages. Thx!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Mythbusters: Does Atlassian even use Confluence?

Hi, Confluence collaborators! As part of #Confluence-Collaboratory month, we’ve created a very special Mythsbusters segment, where we're dive into an interesting myth and uncover the truth behind i...

1,362 views 7 28
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you