edit page but keep its url

jonathanlermitage February 10, 2021

I would like to edit a Confluence page title, but I also want to keep its url: many people bookmarked pages and I don't want to break them. 

Can I edit a page title but keep the previous url? (there's no special characters in title, so the page url looks like https://myConfluenceServer/display/foo/the+page+title)

Thx!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

In reality, even if they have bookmarked a page whose title has changed, Confluence will try to suggest where the page has moved to. It works pretty well in my experience. After the user has been redirected, they can update their bookmarks.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the title as you see fit

Perfect! This is good to know. Thank you!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Not the "friendly name" - the friendly name of a page is always derived from the page's title.  Change the title, change the url.

But Confluence pages do have a fixed id and the url that you get if you do include special characters in a title will work for it because it is based on the id, and if you look in the page properties, a short link that does not change.

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

@jonathanlermitage you can also hit the ellipsis (...) and view the Page Information section to get a Tiny URL that is immutable (doesn't change when you change the page name) -- I use that when circulating pages to people in my business.

Like # people like this

Thx for your help.

At least, I can ask people to edit their bookmarks to use tiny urls, then I will rename pages. Thx!

Moses February 16, 2023

Thanks @Thomas Bowskill . That is super helpful information. I find it very frustrating that as we try to reorganize a growing wiki page, the links keep breaking as headings get renamed etc. The tiny link solves all of that. 

I wish they would make that a default option in the future.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2023

It is a default option already.  The ID-based and the tiny URLs are always available.

But human-friendly URLs are, well, more human-friendly.

> the links keep breaking as headings get renamed

Eh?  No they don't.  If you use proper internal links rather than URLs, they are rendered with the new names when you rename or move pages around.

It's only external systems linking into Confluence that might have a problem, and even when someone has an external link or bookmark, Confluence will redirect them to the new location of the page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events