description of cookies (needed to be GDRP compliant)

Felix Vogler January 30, 2020

Hello!

We are currently in the process of sorting and marking all the cookies needed by our website (and therefore the "embedded" Confluence behind it) to be GDPR compliant.

We discovered lots of cookies and assigned them accordingly to "needed" and "analysis", but we also found a couple of cookies we can't explain. As far as we found out they are all provided by Confluence - do you know what these cookies are for?

Thank you very much in advance!

Alex.

NAME PURPOSEEXPIRYTYPE
atlassian-analytics.confluence PendingPersistentHTML Local Storage
atlassian-analytics.confluence.lock PendingPersistentHTML Local Storage
browser-metrics-journey PendingSessionHTML Local Storage
Confluence.insert-wiki-markup-dialog.cache PendingPersistentHTML Local Storage
Confluence.insert-wiki-markup-dialog.cacheStack PendingPersistentHTML Local Storage

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2020

Hi Felix,

Thank you for bringing this up to us.

I'm trying to find out for you what these cookies are for specifically; I'll let you know when I find more information on that.

Thank you.

Shannon

Felix Vogler March 30, 2020

Hi Shannon,

Did you have any success in finding the specifics?

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Felix.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2020

Hello Felix,

I'm so sorry about that. I found specifics about one of those cookies, but not all of them yet:

• atlassian-analytics.confluence - Used for statistics only, in order to store statistics about Confluence usage (for the Analytics feature). I believe the .lock file is probably a version of that cookie.

The others aren't listed anywhere yet, but I've been trying to chase down the information for you still. I will follow-up with the teams again today to see if I can find anymore information.

Regards,

Shannon

Felix Vogler March 31, 2020

Thank you so much Shannon!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 31, 2020

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your patience.

For the remaining cookies, it could be that a few of them are outdated. Can you let me know exactly which version of Confluence you're working with?

Regards,

Shannon

Felix Vogler April 2, 2020

Unfortunately quite old - 6.9.0
We're unable to update due to a custom plugin - at the moment at least, we are working on it.

Could we just put them all in the analysis category? Our guess would be that they are not necessary for Confluence to function properly.

Thank you again!

Felix.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2020

Hi Felix,

Thank you for confirming. I'm getting in touch with the Confluence server GDPR team, let me see what I can find out for you!

Shannon

Like Felix Vogler likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 8, 2020

Hello @Felix Vogler,

Thank you so much for your patience while I tracked this information down.

• The cookie browser-metrics-journey is related to the browser-metrics frontend library. This cookie measures transition time between various pages. The information can then be used for profiling and measuring performance. We weren't able to find any usage of this in Confluence, so it may be a leftover from an older version. 
  • Any cookies starting with Confluence.insert-wiki-markup-dialog were used for the Insert Markup functionality. They stored the last choice of conversion format (Wiki or Markdown). Later on, they were converted to Local Storage, so these aren't necessary anymore.

I hope that helps, but do let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Nicolas Casel likes this
Nicolas Casel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

Hello @Shannon S  ,

Thanks for this information, but I am not allowed to access to the (bitbucket) browser-metrics frontend library.

Is this cookie native to Confluence, or is it related to a 3rd party plugin? What do you mean by: "so it may be a leftover from an older version"?

We are running Confluence 6.15.4 and this cookie is present. How should we consider it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events