confluence will not start

Jerome McHugh October 15, 2017

The following error is presented when trying to start confluence.

I have performed the following action but the problem was not resolved.

The systems i run in a VirtualBox CentOS 7 guest machine.

The error occurred after I created a clone of the system, but no other changes were made.

Resolution 1

Linux

Do not run Confluence as root, and ensure that the user running Confluence has full read and write access to the home folder. This can be set by running chmod -R with the appropriate permissions, to apply them recursively to each sub folder. An example of the right permissions would be:

chown -R confluence.confluence <confluence-install-folder>
chown -R confluence.confluence <confluence-home-folder>
chmod -R u=rwx,go-rwx <confluence-install-folder>
chmod -R u=rwx,go-rwx <confluence-home-folder>

This is the error that presents:

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved from the container. Therefore very limited information is available in this error report. 
The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved due to the following error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set

Cause

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)

caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.spring.container.SpringContainerContext.getComponent(SpringContainerContext.java:48)

Stack Trace:[hide]

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.webwork.ConfluenceXWorkTransactionInterceptor.getTransactionManager(ConfluenceXWorkTransactionInterceptor.java:28)
	at com.atlassian.xwork.interceptors.XWorkTransactionInterceptor.intercept(XWorkTransactionInterceptor.java:56)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.xwork.SetupIncompleteInterceptor.intercept(SetupIncompleteInterceptor.java:38)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set at com.atlassian.spring.container.SpringContainerContext.getComponent(SpringContainerContext.java:48) at com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33) at com.atlassian.confluence.util.LazyComponentReference$Accessor.get(LazyComponentReference.java:42) at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Lazy$Strong.create(Lazy.java:85) at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:321) at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143) ... 179 more

Referer URL

http://<hostname>/bootstrap/selectsetupstep.action

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2017

Jerome,

Is this a new installation? Did you originally install Confluence as root and now you're not running as root per the recommendation?

On the page you mentioned, there are a total of 7 resolutions. Can you confirm you were able to try the other resolutions as well?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Jerome McHugh October 16, 2017

This is NOT a new installation.... running since Jan 2016.

Is there a way to extract and save site content in the event that I have to re-install?  or when/if I reinstall will the content be available as I am using a mySQL database?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events