Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confluence start error

xfight December 30, 2014

I installed confluence 5.6.5 in right way.After installed, it does not run. Error tip is "Existing PID file found during start. Removing/clearing stale PID file." where is the stale PID? Anyone knows?

```

Server startup logs are located in /www/confluence/logs/catalina.out
Using CATALINA_BASE: /www/confluence
Using CATALINA_HOME: /www/confluence
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /www/confluence/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /www/confluence/jre/
Using CLASSPATH: /www/confluence/bin/bootstrap.jar:/www/confluence/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /www/confluence/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.

```

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2014

Hi xfight,

The message regarding the stale PID just indicates that the start-up script successfully killed the old process before starting again. That PID is stored in <Confluence_Install>/work/catalina.pid. Check the atlassian-confluence.log in the logs sub-directory of the Confluence Home directory for more helpful errors as the snippet above is what I would expect to see when Confluence starts successfully.

How are you accessing Confluence? Is it on localhost or accessing from your workstation? Unless specified otherwise in the server.xml file you will need to specify port 8090.

If you continue not to be able to access Confluence please open a support request at https://support.atlassian.com. The request will be confidential so you can attach a full set of logs from:

* <confluence_home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log
* <confluence_install>/logs/ (anything recent in this directory)

The <confluence_home> directory is the path defined in the following file: <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties.

Thanks,

Ann

xfight December 30, 2014

Thank you.Confluence is on my workstation, the port is 8090. I found the log file is 'catalina.out', error log is: ``` Error occurred during initialization of VM Failed to allocate initial heap. Error occurred during initialization of VM Failed to allocate initial heap. ``` There are many log file in log dir, others are empty.

Deleted user January 7, 2015

Sounds like a java memory issue (memory set too low). Check this page for instructions on how to change memory settings https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Fix+Out+of+Memory+Errors+by+Increasing+Available+Memory

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events