confluence site not showing up for users

Jonathan Kerr August 4, 2014

I am having a weird and frustrating problem, no one can get to our confluence site to load up. I however have no issues connecting to the site via localhost (I currently host on my home computer as I only have 4 users counting me that need to access it so On Demand is out of the question due to funds, and yes I know its not recommended). They have gotten 'Web page is not available" and "the site is taking too long to respond" and "the site has timed out". I have zero clue on what is causing the issue. I have tried disabling all AV and firewalls, I have made both confluence and my database (I use PostgreSQL) be excluded from any and all scans (AV, ccleaner, etc...) No matter what I change or do the problem continues. Please any help or solutions would be utterly fantastic as we cannot do any work until this issue is resolved.

Update: After 36 hours I finally found the culprit. It was my ISP. I current;y have WOW with the Ultra TV setup with their questionable gateway. I have had many different providers who use dynamic IPs, however the IP that is dynamic is almost always exclusively (my own experiences mind you) the public IP address, however in WOW's case it is not the public IP that is dynamic despite being labeled as so, but instead it is the private IP address that is dynamic. My private ip address changed thus rendering any open ports or exclusions worthless. I also noticed that my ports for SSH and Web Server [HTTP] ports were being blocked as well. adding those and changing the private ip addresses for both confluene and my database resolved the issue. For anyone using WOW and hosting themselves this something that will need to be remembered and watched.

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Kerr August 5, 2014

I also posted this in the orginal post:

Update: After 36 hours I finally found the culprit. It was my ISP. I current;y have WOW with the Ultra TV setup with their questionable gateway. I have had many different providers who use dynamic IPs, however the IP that is dynamic is almost always exclusively (my own experiences mind you) the public IP address, however in WOW's case it is not the public IP that is dynamic despite being labeled as so, but instead it is the private IP address that is dynamic. My private ip address changed thus rendering any open ports or exclusions worthless. I also noticed that my ports for SSH and Web Server [HTTP] ports were being blocked as well. adding those and changing the private ip addresses for both confluene and my database resolved the issue. For anyone using WOW and hosting themselves this something that will need to be remembered and watched.

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

Try to access the application typing: ipaddress:port.

If you're typing localhost:port in their computers, they won't be able to access the application, since their localhost is not the same.

Trying to access by the IP:port will also point us if there is some DNS problem if you're trying to access with the URL.

Another suggestion: Confirm if you can telnet the application port from the user computer.

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

Jonathan Kerr August 5, 2014

How I figured out what was happening was by going to whatismyip.organd scanning my ports. It's there that I discovered that SSH and Web Server HttP were being blocked along with my database and confluence.

I have always been carfelu to make sure that my users are user the actual URL instead of localhost.

Thank you for your reply though, it's conforting to see how helpful the community and developers are when it comes to resolving issues.

Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

Thank you for sharing the solution with the community.

When troubleshooting questions that may involve network aspects, I try to start from the basics. :)

Best Regards,

Pedro Souza

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events