confluence permissions: what is the "Mail" option ?

fbeck_br October 16, 2015

Go to a confluence space,

Go to Space Tools > Permissions

Note there are some options do set permissions:

Example: Comment (add / delete)

but what is the option Mail (delete)??

When a user or grupo has this permission (to delete) what can be done ??

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2015

Mail is a function of Confluence that I thought was deprecated but I cannot confirm that now. Basically, you attach an email to Confluence and then Confluence will store the emails within the application. This allows you to have your project's Wiki, Attachments, and Email all in one spot. 

Working with Mail Archives

Pamela Cole September 15, 2016

Can anyone confirm this? Odd that the Email permissions is still there...

Loïc Dewerchin February 1, 2017

The options to add a Mail account to archive mails are no longer available on our instance (Confluence 5.9.x).

The documentation for this stops after version 5.7 : https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf57/adding-a-mail-account-701435314.html

Johannes Stadler (Scandio) September 26, 2017

Just for the sake of completeness, this feature is optional and can still be enabled in 6.2.3 by enabling the Confluence Mail Archiving Plugin (Although I didn't test the functionality).
See also the "Notes" part in the documentation you added:

Confluence mail archiving is an optional feature. This means that the 'Mail' options may be disabled and will therefore not appear in the Confluence user interface. Mail archiving features are contained in a bundled plugin. To activate mail archiving features in Confluence, enable the plugin – choose ADMIN > General Configuration > Manage Add-ons. Then choose System in the drop down, and enable the Confluence Mail Archiving Plugin.

And then the "Mail" permission reappears in the space permissions.

0 votes
Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Just to keep this answer a little more current:

I tried to add an archive in Confluence 6.13.3 and it works great (looks useful too).
I also remmber reading that this functionality will be deprecated but the new documentation doesn't have any info on this. I think they just keep it optional and don't develop it further.

If I actually use it more actively I will post some experiences here.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf613/mail-archives-964961101.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events