I'm trying to clone the VM my confluence is on so I can have a development server to test on, i'm not having success and was wondering if you had a guide on how to do this or if it is even possible.

Thanks

1 answer

0 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 27, 2016

This is what I do to create/refresh our dev server. This is based on the steps from this document.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf58/migrating-confluence-between-servers-771893123.html

• Install the same version as is currently in prod to the non-prod server.
  • Launch Confluence in a browser to configure the install. You will need to visit my.atlassian.com to get a developers license for Confluence.
  • Put the license into the web page and start a Production Installation
  • Stop Confluence on the non production server.
  • Take a backup of the production Confluence database.
  • Delete the Confluence database on the non production server.
  • Restore the backup of the production database to the non production server.
  • Edit the confluence.cfg.xml file in the home directory of the non productions server and ensure the database connection is not pointed to production.
    • The home directory location is stored in a configuration file called confluence-init.properties, which is located inside the confluence/WEB-INF/classes directory in your Confluence Installation directory.
  • Zip the Confluence home directory on the production server.
  • Copy the zip file from the production server to the non production server.
  • Unzip the file and move all of the contents except the index folder and the confluence.cfg.xml to the home directory on the non production server.
  • Delete the index folder on the non production server and then create a new folder called index
  • Move the edge and plugin folders from the production index folder to the non production index folder that you just created.
  • Run these two sql statements against the non-production database
    • delete from Confluence.dbo.BANDANA where BANDANAKEY = 'atlassian.confluence.smtp.mail.accounts'
    • delete from Confluence.dbo.BANDANA where BANDANAKEY = 'atlassian.confluence.space.mailaccounts'
  • Restart the Confluence service.
  • Set the Server Base Url in Confluence Admin -> General Configuration
  • Go to Confluence Admin -> Administration -> Content Indexing and rebuild the index.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

254 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you