can we get the old table interface back for the new page format?

Carl Stewart October 14, 2020

The new page template doesn't allow me to insert columns to the left and rows above.  It also is missing the table buttons that are shown at the top on the legacy page.

It is very annoying having to copy and paste rows and columns each time I want to insert a column to the left and a row above.

It is also annoying having to click on an arrow for a row that then brings up a menu of the options I have.  It makes it slower to edit a table.

Here is an image of the missing buttons at the top that in the legacy page made it so much easier to modify tables:

confluence-tables-legacy.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2020

Hello @Carl Stewart !

While the toolbar is indeed not available in the new editing experience, there are ways to achieve the needs you described without the need to copy and pastes rows and columns.

You can take a look here:

Looking further down our open requests, I was able to find that the need to reinstate a Table toolbar has already been listed. You can find the report here:

I would advise you to vote and watch the Suggestion report. The report does take in consideration the added clicks and time to actually set the table as desired.

Let us hear from you!

0 votes
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

@Carl Stewart I’m not sure how to take up this question but definitely UX on Confluence for whatever reason need some work and need to match missing/essential features of old experience (or at least provide better substitution)

But in favour of current (next-gen!) editor experience, it is minimalistic in nature and cover cases that most people are using. Also, Confluence team is slowly adding features to this for power users like you, but they want to keep this as simple as possible because this time they want to support plethora of devices. Standardised document format, grounds-up mobile/native support in UI are steps in this direction.

Now to give you better idea, I’ll check with Team if there is any scheduled timeline for enhancement in table and will get back to you (or may be ask Atlassian to respond here)

Surely this doesn’t solve your problem but hopefully this gives you some insight.

Carl Stewart October 15, 2020

I should point out not even Microsoft Word 2019 behaves like this.  It has the toolbar when modifying a table.

So this design that is being used by confluence is not being used by other word processors.  Please consider adding the toolbar back to modifying a table.  I wouldn't call these features I'm asking for to be power user features, but basic features that should have been there before something like this was even released.

Like DPKJ likes this
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events