Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't remove users from group

Ruud Grosmann December 10, 2013

the group 'confluence-administrators' is populated with people that shouldn't be there. For example because they have left the company. When I try to remove them from the group using the button at the end of the line, I get a message like

The following error(s) occurred:

Could not remove user 'rvdlst' as a member of group 'confluence-administrators'. Check your server logs for more information.
However, in the server log catalina.out nothing is added.
  • is this the right place to look for logging?
  • what can I do to withdraw admin-rights from a user?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ruud Grosmann December 11, 2013

Hi Alex,

we are not using LDAP, but jira for the administration. I simply had to remove the person using the jira administration interface. Works without problems. Problem solved. Thanks for your help. Meanwhile I am wondering if confluence is able to recognize this construction and provide the administrator with a more meaningful error message...

Ruud

1 vote
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

Hi Ruud,

First remove the user from the confluence-users group. This way,despite the user still has admin rights, he wouldn't login so the admin rights will be useless.

Then, go to Logging & Profiling in the admin of confluence and increase the verbosity to DEBUG, depending on conf version, there is a Production/Diagnostic switch. Turn it to diagnostic, repeat steps and look for some messages in logs

Hi Alex,

thanks for your suggestion. The logging contains useful information by now. Hopefully this brings me further. I think the issue is the following:

..... many more lines.....
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationNotPermittedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Application "crowd-embedded" does not allow group modifications
        at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.removeUserFromGroup(CrowdServiceImpl.java:743)

Looks I have not enough rights. Can someone tell me what I need to do do to be able to remove users from groups?

thanks in advance, Ruud

by now, I am member of

by now, I am member of confluence-administrators and confluence-users, jira-administrators and jira-users

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

I think that isn't related to confluence-users / jira-users membership, as it seems you are using crowd to manage users/membership/sso ..etc.

Try to do the operation of removing membership in crowd, not in confluence.

Unfortunatelly I can't bring you more help as I have no experience with crowd ^^

HTH

Hi Alex,

no I am using confluence. Maybe confluence uses a crowd library. But I got this message when walking the path

dashboard>administration>manage groups>confluence administrators and then pushing a remove rights button at the right of a user line.

So it is a confluence issue...

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2013

Maybe are you using LDAP (User Directories) in confluence, so you are managing group membership in the LDAP server?

In that case, you need to remove the user membership in your LDAP.

Ruud Grosmann December 11, 2013

Hi Alex,

we are not using LDAP, but jira for the administration. I simply had to remove the person using the jira administration interface. Works without problems. Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Ruud

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events