Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can a postgres database instance be shared between fisheye and confluence?

John Casey April 17, 2014

I have a small team <25 devolopers. We have been running with the default datbase option for fisheye but recently installed confluence on postgres. Is it advisable to run both applications on the same datbase instance?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
gustavo_refosco
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2014

Hi John,

I'm sorry for my mistake, I totally missed the "instance". Please disregard my concerns (I tought you were talking about using the same database, as many other users raised this question once, sorry for the confusion with your question too).

It shouldn't be an issue to use the same instance for both databases. Indeed the performance might be affected, but I think this would depend on the configuration of your server.

0 votes

Ex-Oracle DBA here.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about database instance (linux process). One database instance can support mulitple users (fisheyeuser and Confluenceuser) with multiple different schemas. Otherwise i will need to run postgres on two different physical servers or I need to run two postgres instances on the same server (which is a pain http://opensourcedbms.com/dbms/running-multiple-postgresql-9-2-instances-on-one-server-in-centos-6rhel-6fedora/).

Databases are suppose to be mult-user and mult-schema. Can you explane why running on the same instance is a bad idea? Performance issues or data integrity issues or some other reason?

thanks,

0 votes
gustavo_refosco
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2014

Hi John,

This is not advised. Each application has it own schema, so you should use separate databases for them.

For more information about the database migration and steps to migrate for FishEye please take a look at the Migrating to an External Database document.

For Confluence, please refers to its Database Configuration document.

Ex-Oracle DBA here.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about database instance (linux process). One database instance can support mulitple users (fisheyeuser and Confluenceuser) with multiple different schemas. Otherwise i will need to run postgres on two different physical servers or I need to run two postgres instances on the same server (which is a painhttp://opensourcedbms.com/dbms/running-multiple-postgresql-9-2-instances-on-one-server-in-centos-6rhel-6fedora/).

Databases are suppose to be mult-user and mult-schema. Can you explane why running on the same instance is a bad idea? Performance issues or data integrity issues or some other reason?

thanks,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events