Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after the last update, we lost our data. we have backup files and re install confluence and replace

Navid Cht February 15, 2021

Hello there,

We use confluence as a documentation and knowledge center for a small NGO. After the last update of our product, unfortunately, we got a problem and lost our data. The specifics of our system is:

• Windows server 
  • last version of Confluence: 6.15.6
  • the new version of Confluence: 7.4.6

We have all of our data as a backup and data with it (it is a file and that file size is about 3GB). But we couldn't restore our data by installing the new version of the confluence. We try many times to re-install that new version and replace the backup file in the confluence data file. But every time we face a problem. We also try to install confluence on the Linux server but we face problems too. Could you mind helping us how can restore data? how to use 2 zip files (backup file and confluence installing file)?

It's good to know we use confluence for the public benefit and after these errors, we had a lot of problems.

thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

What type of backup have you got?  Is it the XML exports, or the recommended database dump + copy of attachments?

I would never recommend restoring a backup to a different version.  Install a clean version of the old one, get it working with the backup and then upgrade it.

Navid Cht February 20, 2021

I'm not sure about recommended database dump. But we have a copy of the attachments. We don't have XML exports.

We have a database dump, but we don't know is it recommended database dump or sth else dump! :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2021

If your database dump is a simple dump as suggested by the docs for your database, then it is the recommended one.

The process when you have that (plus a copy of the attachments), but no backup of your installation is:

• Create a new empty database to use for this process
  • Install a new Confluence, same version as you had before, but completely clean, do not worry about your old data.  Tell it to use the new empty database, and for "confluence home" give it a new empty directory 
  • Fire it up and get to a point where the single new admin user can wander around it.  One demo space, admin can log in and read/write, looks completely like a totally new installation
  • Stop Confluence server
  • Restore your database dump over the top of the new db
  • Restore the copy of the attachments into <new confluence home>/attachments
  • Start the new install
  • Log in as the admin (use the credentials from the one that failed), and go to admin -> indexing -> full reindex

You now have a restored Confluence ready to try to upgrade again.

Navid Cht February 23, 2021

thank you.

I did as you said step by step.

• I created a new empty database
  • Installed a new Confluence, the same version as I had before, and completely clean. Told it to use the new empty database, and for "confluence home" gave it a new empty directory 
  • Fired it up and got to a point where the single new admin user can wander around it.  One demo space, admin can log in and read/write, looks completely like a totally new installation.
  • I stop the Confluence server

But then I couldn't restore my database dump over the top of the new DB. Because I didn't have a dump file. I just had 2 files their name is: "h2db.mv.db" and "h2db.trace.db".

photo_2021-02-23_15-33-17.jpg

I continued your steps without "restore database dump". and finally  I encountered this error:

photo_2021-02-21_22-55-55.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events