Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the site administration global permission give me access to restricted content?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

Hi there,

I thought I knew this but I'm a little confused now, and was hoping the Community can help me confirm the right behavior. If I have the site administrator global permission, do I get "automatically" access to restricted content in the site? Or do I need to add myself to the confluence-administrators groups in order to access the restricted content? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

Hi Carlos - You have Confluence admin rights as a site admin if your Confluence instance uses default permission settings. To (re)gain permission on a space by space basis you can Recover Space Permissions.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

Hi Michael, Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure this addresses my question. More specifically, I'd like to know if by being a Confluence site administrator I get access to restricted content. I know that if I'm part of confluence-administrators group then I can access restricted content, but you could have the Confluence Administrator or Site Administrator global and not being part of that group. Any more hints? Thanks!

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2019

Being a Confluence administrator doesn't give you access to restricted content.  You can grant yourself access to restricted spaces, but not to restricted pages and their descendants.  Page restrictions are set by user or group.  So, one can be a member of a group having site admin rights, but not a member of a group having access to certain restricted content.  That said, if you have space admin for the page you can adjust the restrictions to include you.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2019

Thanks, Michael. I thought that if you belong to the confluence-administrators group you get access to restricted access regardless of space permissions or what other groups you may belong.  Isn't that right?

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

Hi Carlos - I corrected part of my answer above.  A space admin cannot see the content, but they can grant themselves access to it.  See this page for details.

Space Admin and System Administrator access to restricted pages 
Users with 'Admin' permissions in a space, or users with the System Administrator global permission can remove restrictions from pages, even if the page restriction prevents them from viewing the page. Go to  Space Administration  >  Restricted Pages.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2019

Thanks, Michael.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events