Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AD integration require me to purchase more licenses?

Miguel Pereira September 16, 2015

Hi,

I have a 50 user license and have Confluence integrated with JIRA and JIRA Agile. JIRA is the primary user database and this syncs to Confluence.

I'd like to change my setup to be controlled via Active directory(LDAP) but my AD user base is 300+ users.

I have a few questions:

• How do I go about setting up AD so this will work? Is this fairly simple or quite complex due to the fact I have only 50 users that require JIRA/confluence access from AD?

Currently when I buy a license for JIRA, I also need to buy a license for Confluence, even though the user may not ever use Confluence(I'm guessing this is because of the authentication being shared across both systems)

The reverse is also true. I may not want to give users access to JIRA; only Confluence.

• In moving to AD, can I break the tie between JIRA and Confluence and manage this separately in AD and will I need to keep the number of users in-line with each of the products - or can confluence / JIRA access be controlled separately?

Thanks,

Miguel

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2015

Both JIRA and Confluence work out your licencing based on the groups they see users in.

By default, they ship with internal groups called jira-users and confluence-users, and they use these in the "global permissions" to say "anyone in this group can log in".  They also have administrator groups who can log in as well

You don't have to use those groups, you can add others to the permission, and remove the default groups if that suits you.

The important thing is that the number of people who can log in is what counts against the licence.

So, with AD enabled you could do something like:

• 300 people in AD
  • 10 people in jira-users (internal group)
  • 20 people in ad-jira-users (AD group)
  • 30 people in confluence-users (internal group)
  • 40 people in ad-confluence-users (AD group)

That setup will consume 30 JIRA licences and 70 Confluence licences, even though there are 300 people.  Note that the JIRA and confluence groups are completely separate - you can put someone in JIRA or Confluence or both, or neither.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events