Why is there no possibility to remain on premise

Christoph Faak November 26, 2020

Dear support,

we are currently planning to roll-out confluence and jira over the whole company. It is my project nearly the whole year. But now, you announce the end of on premise and I strictly do not plan or want to migrate to the cloud. we have a quite nice datacenter inhouse and for me there is totally no benefit by outsourcing such an important tool to an anonymous abstract thing like the cloud. Every cloud provider has the same marketing blah blah like we are 100% secure, we are 100% available and as seen on AWS or clowdflare .. "sorry this was a software problem - things happen"

So your plans to migrate to the cloud may lead in cancelling our atlassian project and remain using other solutions - which sucks, to be honest.

so I'm a bit frustrated

Chris

2 answers

1 vote
Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2020

Hi,

You have 2 on-premise options:

- Server - it will be supported and developed for next 3 years, and if you already have a license you can use it for unlimited time

- Data Center - it's 100% compatible with Server and brings some new features (clustering, SSO) but it's license is a term contract (will expire and stop working if not renewed).

So, cloud it not an option for multiple companies, but it on-premise is still available. I also can't imagine that a Bank or Government will release sensitive data to an Australian/American company that is under US Law (access to any data by US Agencies).

0 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 27, 2020

@Christoph Faaksome questions you need to answer before making a decision to go to Atlassian Data Center or not go to Atlassian, which seems to be your particular conumdrum.

• How many users will you have? If you have more than 500, Data Center is a good option.
  • What's your budget? Can you afford Data Center licenses?
  • What products are you going after? Are any competitors a realistic alternative in terms of feature parity and comparable cost?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events