Why don't I see "Grant browse permission to"?

When editing Global Permissions, I don't have a "Grant Acces To" box.  It just says "Go to the site administration to license more users to use Confluence."  I have not used all my licenses, and regardless I should still be able to access the group permissions.  Can anyone help?

nogrant.jpg

5 answers

So, I got an answer from Atlassian support.

basically you need to be a site administrator.

To grant access to Confluence to new groups, you will now need to do it from the Application access configuration menu:

As you are a site administrator, you should be able to add a new group to Confluence.

In this screen you are avle to add a new group and set it so that it has access to confluence but not become an admin.

The other steps remain the same

• create a group
  • assign the group to the space and give it the correct permissions
  • create a user
  • assign the group to the user
  • remove the default confluence user group to that user

I think this should do the trick and should also be reflected on the Global Permissions screen whose screenshot is in the original post from Michael.

It worked for me!

Now i have spaces that I share only with external users but where all my internal user can contribute if necessary.

Good luck

There is a small tutorial, in order to ensure you can provide the access to the group you wish.

1. On your confluence landing page, select the 'Switch Apps' button and select 'Administration'.

2. Go to Groups, this allows you to manage groups. You'll need to create the group, by going to the right upper corner on "Create Group" option.

3. After the group creation, you'll need to provide the necessary access to this group, to do so,  you can navigate on the left sidebar and select application access.
**3.1 Inside application access, navigate to the option 'View Configuration' on the right top corner

4. Go to Access config and add the group you've create should appear as available now at the group list.

This is the true answer I've been looking for. It seems like it used to be somewhere else. Thank you ever so much.

That's just where you set global permissions to the default system groups.

In Cloud, user groups are managed in a special user management and billing tool.

If you can't find it, you can it directly via https://YOUR-SUBDOMAIN.atlassian.net/admin/groups (replace YOUR-SUBDOMAIN with your site's sub-domain)

Hi Michael

I opened exactly the same case and waiting for a resolution from Atlassian. Also, I was able to do this for a previous group around October - November 2016. But now it seems not to work anymore and asks me to licence more users.

Antonio, I was able to find it, not under Global Permissions, but under Space Permissions.  Not sure if that will address what you need to do, though.

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed I was able to see the list of groups but adding one to the global permissions seems to be blocked by this licensing thing...

When I hear about Atlassian I will let you know

Now I realise what the issue is, I've raised a support ticket with Atlassian as well.

I have come across the same issue.

Any response from Atlassian?

Atlassian support have confirmed that the documentation for this feature in Cloud is incorrect.

You can not add or remove groups or individuals through this Global Permissions page, although you can edit some of the specific permissions assigned to those groups or anonymous. You don't have full control of this because users and global permissions are different in Cloud.

If you've assigned a user to Confluence through Application access configuration in User management, they are assigned to the confluence-users group. If you want to give someone admin access, add them to the administrators or site-admin group. For explanation of those default groups, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/manage-groups-744721627.html

Michael - BTW that might explain why, but I don't know if that addresses what you were actually trying to do through this configuration?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

609 views 20 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you