Why does the roadmap planner macro text come out different in PDF

Konstantin Prinz February 5, 2018

I am using the roadmap planner macro to create a large roadmap. Depending on the bar color, the text color is either white or black. This works great on screen.

However when I export it as PDF to print it later on, the white text turns to grey. This creates an unreadable contrast...

So my question is two  pronged:

1) Can I prevent this and get it WYSIWYG same on screen and in PDF?

2) is there another way to export with proper contrast in high res for printing in A0 size?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2018

Hi Konstantin,

What version of Confluence are you running? I tested with my Confluence version 6.7.0, and using the inspector I can see that the CSS is set to white, but has a fade setting.

When I export this to PDF, it still appears white, but using a dropper tool in Photoshop, I can see that it does add a little bit of whatever background color the bar is using. The below example is from my PDF:

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 3.24.25 PM.png

Could you show me what you're seeing? I'm curious to know why it might be changing it to such an unreadable color for you.

There's no way around this that I'm aware of, but if it's not readable then this is something that should definitely be reported.

As for exporting for A0 format, the only two options are PDF or Word Document. 

Regards,

Shannon

Konstantin Prinz February 12, 2018

We are running Confluence 6.2.3

This is web view

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 14.09.49.png

and this is from the PDF Export

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 14.11.13.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2018

Konstantin,

Wow, that's definitely unexpected. I'm going to work on replicating this. Can you confirm your operating system version as well as the browsers you are using where it happens?

Regards,

Shannon

Client side: macOS 10.13.2, Safari 11.0.2

I have been playing around with Chrome and then it dawned on me. I forgot sth: Since it's pretty pixely if I just hit 'export to PDF' (and then it IS in white) what I actually did was to define an A0 Format for my HP M277dw printer and then use Apple's 'save as PDF' from the print dialog. And THEN the grey appeared. Sorry about the omission in the steps.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2018

Konstantin,

Glad you were able to determine the issue! I had just finished setting up a page on 6.2.3 to test and I still wasn't replicating the issue.

Take care, and kind regards,

Shannon

Darren Bauer August 2, 2018

Shannon, 

I've been having trouble with this too, I've found that if I print directly from the browser I get the white font turning grey, and I also get quite a big roadmap planner on the page. If I export to pdf I get white font, but the roadmap planner is quite small and difficult to read. It would be great to have an option to change font color.

I've changed the page layout of the Confluence Space to be landscape as it's a better fit for what I'm doing.

It would also be great to have better control over page breaks etc for printing too.

Did you do any follow up of this?

I'm using version 6.4.0, but upgrading to 6.10 very soon.

thanks,

Darren.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 3, 2018

Hi Darren,

I did not, as it appeared that the issue wasn't related to Confluence itself, but using Safari's Save to PDF feature.

As for page breaks, can you let me know what you mean by better control over it? There's some discussion on this feature request on how to insert page breaks in a PDF in Confluence:

Regards,

Shannon

Darren Bauer August 5, 2018

Shannon,

Thanks for the feedback, I got the page break working fine.

For the printing I am getting white font from the pdf export which is good. But my main issue is the sizing of the roadmap. In landscape it comes out using only about 1/3 of the page, is there a way I can get it to full size?

regards,

darren.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2018

Hi Darren,

The landscape issue comes about when you use the Export to PDF functionality? It sounds like t might be a separate issue. I would recommend either raising a support ticket or a new question here. This is due to the fact that this thread was related specifically to the issue with Safari not printing the same color as on the Confluence page.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events