Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we see these search peculiarities?

Sune Mølgaard November 28, 2019

For a client, we are investigating some strange search behaviour in Confluence.

Searching for the Space "IT & Software", that Space does not show up when writing "IT & ..." - actually, it doesn't show up until the whole title is completely written. It does show up, however, writing the full word "Software".

Along the same lines, searching for the Space "Legislation & Standards" only shows it upon writing the whole word "Legislation" or the whole word "Standards".

Is the latter case expected behaviour? I.e. whole words only?

As for the first example, why doesn't "IT", by itself not show the relevant Space?

Surely, the following is not supposed to be expected behaviour, is it?

Udklip.PNG

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard
Translucent ApS

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeff Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2019

Have you reindexed Confluence recently?

What version of Confluence are you using?

Sune Mølgaard December 2, 2019

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for asking.

Problem was present in 6.15.7, where we tried reindexing both by just clicking, and by removing the index folder and clicking.

We are now at 7.1.0 and have tried the same things, again to no avail.

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard
Translucent APS

Jeff Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2019

I see the same behaviour searching for 'IT & Software' in Confluence 7.1.0. It seems the search stemmer is throwing away the '&'.

Confluence is using a pretty old version of Lucene and search-related feature requests, like https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-14910 are 10+ years old, so I think that's just the way it is.

Sune Mølgaard December 6, 2019

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for confirming and clarifying - I shall proceed to accept your answer :-)

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard
Translucent ApS

Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2020

It looks like the releases for Confluence 7 are still running Lucene-4.4.0 but there is a request to upgrade to 7.5.0.  Maybe since Jira 8 got a Lucene upgrade it will be easier to get it into Confluence 7.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events