Why do plugin installs take about 30 minutes each in Confluence 4.2.2?

BroadcomS July 10, 2012

Installing or upgrading any plugin in Confluence 4.2.2 takes at least 30 minutes. What's the deal? At this rate, we will have to have a 48 hour downtime to do our production upgrade, just to sit around and wait! Is this a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this? We are going from 3.5.13 to 4.2.2.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
BroadcomS October 10, 2012

The root cause was the SharePoint Connector Plugin. Thankfully, Joseph Clark solved the problem and released the SharePoint Connector 1.6.1, which resolved the issue for us.

0 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2012

Hi, have you check Server Base URL? Does it match with the address that you use to access Confluence? Is your Confluence exposed to internet? If it doesn't, please refer to this documentation and this one. Cheers!

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2012

Yep - something tweaky going on in that there Confluence system - dig deeper.. 4.2.2. is faster..

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2012

Nope, ours upload in a few seconds. What does your log file say? Can you try downloading a plugin and loading it manually (via upload a jar, rather than asking the UPM to go to the marketplace)?

BroadcomS July 10, 2012

Looks like a lot of garbage collection going on. We have nearly 100,000 pages, which may have something to do with it.

I should probably just open a support ticket. :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2012

Hmm, loads of GC is probably the cause of the slowness, but you should be seeing slow responses all over the place, and I can't pin down 100k pages as a direct cause.

I take it a manual upload of a plugin also runs really slowly?

I would indeed be thinking about a support call, but after looking at the memory/JVM settings to make sure they are sensible (and my usual trick is to use the wrong letter in a memory setting, so if you're anything like me, check your spelling/typing)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events