Why can't all my authenticated users see new Confluence spaces by default?

Kevin Kenny June 19, 2012

We've recently started using Confluence (4.2.1 - ten user $10 downloaded edition) and have imported our users and groups from our Jira installation (Jira 5.0.2 - the basic $10 ten user install and we're just using the built-in Jira Internal Directory - no LDAP or other external user/auth mechs).

In Confluence all users are members of the confluence-users group:

Whenever anyone adds a new Space to Confluence it's never visible to everyone despite the Space Permissions saying that anyone in the confluence-users group has the correct permissions, for example, here's a Space created by my colleague Andy:

In the space above, the confluence-users group has View, Add, Export etc permissions yet when I logon to Confluence I can't find the Space in the Spaces directory.

If I try to browse to it directly I get a 404 page not found.

The only way for Andy to make this space visible to other users is to explicitly add individual users in the Space Admin -> Permissions page.

As a workaround (so we don't have to add 6 individual users each time) we've created a new group called all-users and added all of our Confluence users to that group. Whenever we create a new Space we have to remember to explicitly add the all-users group to a space's permissions.

This is a bit of a pain and we just want all Spaces we create to be visible to all authenticated users by default.

I would also add that all of our users are also members of the confluence-administrators group as well.

Why won't Confluence do this?

This is not the same issue as which appears to be a LDAP group name typo problem:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/19365/user-s-can-t-see-global-spaces-in-confluence

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2012

Hi Kevin,

Judging from your latest response on the ticket, the cause of the issue seems to be user management configuration that cause the membership to be mixmatched.

On your Confluence side, if JIRA is listed as the first directory, Confluence will use the its membership for permission. However, if you look at the membership from

Admin > Manage Group > confluence-users

This will listed all the members of confluence-users group without concerning the order of the directory which cause the confusion on your side.

We actually have an improvement request for this issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22464

Glad to hear that everything works fine now.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Julio Mugabe October 30, 2012
0 votes
Jacob Prather July 8, 2012

Login as an administrator.

Go to "Site Administration".

Select "Global Permissions" Under Security.

Click "Edit Permissions".

Type in "confluence-users" under "Grand browse permission to", then Add.

Then have "can use" checked.

Save All.

Let me know if this works for you! Also, this is step by step is for my 3.5 version of confluence, you might have different buttons/setup but hopefully this guides you in the right direction.

Kevin Kenny July 9, 2012

I checked that as well, the confluence-users group is set up properly.

Jacob Prather July 10, 2012

Do you think the JIRA group import didn't work properly? Since allusers works but confluence-users doesn't?

Kevin Kenny July 10, 2012

I imported it a couple of times, all the users are present and correct. I've opened a support ticket with Atlassian now so will wait and see what they come up with.

0 votes
Kevin Kenny June 19, 2012

I would also add that all of our users are also members of the confluence-administrators group as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events