Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't I Export to a Foreign Language PDF Using This TTC File?

Ben Jacobs-Swearingen July 23, 2017

I am having issues using Confluence to export foreign language pages to PDF using the NotoSansCJK.ttc collection ("My TTC").

The documentation for creating PDFs claims that:

the only font files supported are true type fonts and true type collections. The accepted file extensions are *.ttf and *.ttc

but when I upload My TTC via the "PDF Export Language Support" interface, attempting to "Export PDF" generates the following error:

com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.ImportExportException: com.lowagie.text.DocumentException: /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/fonts/NotoSansCJK.ttc is not a valid TTF file.
at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.useCustomFontIfConfigured(FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.java:214)caused by: com.lowagie.text.DocumentException: /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/fonts/NotoSansCJK.ttc is not a valid TTF file.
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.EnumerateTTC.findNames(Unknown Source)

Any thoughts about why Confluence isn't handling this TTC file correctly?

N.B., the only other seemingly pertinent enduser setting, i.e. the PDF Stylesheet CSS, appears to be correct:

img
{
-fs-fit-images-to-width: 100% !important;
}

body
{
font-family: ConfluenceInstalledFont;
}

And things look OK in the backend Bandana database as well:

confluence=> select BANDANAVALUE from BANDANA where BANDANAKEY = 'com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.fontname';
bandanavalue
--------------------------------------
<map> +
<entry> +
<string>customfont</string> +
<string>NotoSansCJK.ttc</string>+
</entry> +
</map>
(1 row)

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2017

Hi Ben,

It appears the .ttc file you're using may be corrupt. 

You can try to create your own .ttc file from the invididual .ttf files and see if this works better, or try with a different .ttc file so we can narrow down the issue.

Let us know how it goes!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Ben Jacobs-Swearingen July 24, 2017

Ah!  I tested it with a different ttc file from Microsoft, YuGothB.ttc, and it indeed works.  It even renders both Chinese and Japanese correctly.  Thanks for the help, I couldn't imagine that it could be a problem with the Google font, but it was!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2017

Glad to hear, Ben! If you prefer to use the NotoSans font, you can go ahead and try creating the .ttc with the Font Forge article I sent you.

Take care!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events