Why Can't I Export to a Foreign Language PDF Using This TTC File? Edited

I am having issues using Confluence to export foreign language pages to PDF using the NotoSansCJK.ttc collection ("My TTC").

The documentation for creating PDFs claims that:

the only font files supported are true type fonts and true type collections. The accepted file extensions are *.ttf and *.ttc

but when I upload My TTC via the "PDF Export Language Support" interface, attempting to "Export PDF" generates the following error:

com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.ImportExportException: com.lowagie.text.DocumentException: /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/fonts/NotoSansCJK.ttc is not a valid TTF file.
at com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.useCustomFontIfConfigured(FlyingSaucerXmlToPdfConverter.java:214)caused by: com.lowagie.text.DocumentException: /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/fonts/NotoSansCJK.ttc is not a valid TTF file.
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.EnumerateTTC.findNames(Unknown Source)

Any thoughts about why Confluence isn't handling this TTC file correctly?

N.B., the only other seemingly pertinent enduser setting, i.e. the PDF Stylesheet CSS, appears to be correct:

img
{
-fs-fit-images-to-width: 100% !important;
}

body
{
font-family: ConfluenceInstalledFont;
}

And things look OK in the backend Bandana database as well:

confluence=> select BANDANAVALUE from BANDANA where BANDANAKEY = 'com.atlassian.confluence.extra.flyingpdf.fontname';
bandanavalue
--------------------------------------
<map> +
<entry> +
<string>customfont</string> +
<string>NotoSansCJK.ttc</string>+
</entry> +
</map>
(1 row)

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Ben,

It appears the .ttc file you're using may be corrupt. 

You can try to create your own .ttc file from the invididual .ttf files and see if this works better, or try with a different .ttc file so we can narrow down the issue.

Let us know how it goes!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Ah!  I tested it with a different ttc file from Microsoft, YuGothB.ttc, and it indeed works.  It even renders both Chinese and Japanese correctly.  Thanks for the help, I couldn't imagine that it could be a problem with the Google font, but it was!

Glad to hear, Ben! If you prefer to use the NotoSans font, you can go ahead and try creating the .ttc with the Font Forge article I sent you.

Take care!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

439 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you