Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which default table behaviour do you expect? Fixed Width or Automatic Width?

Viewing page 2 of 2

39 answers

0 votes
Carissa Parker September 15, 2015

I agree both fluid and fixed widths should be available, and think you should be able to use both on the same table. The default should be fluid, but I would like to double click to snap to the next logical position (like Excel), move the margins manually, and also specify both pixels and centimeters/inches, in case I need to have a page print in a specific way. Thank you so much for taking on this endeavor. I have been waiting on this feature for a long time!

0 votes
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

Make it "fluid" as default, as this is what the users are currently expecting. An upgrade then doesn't trigger new training of users. When using a "fixed" mode, please keep in mind that devices have very different screen widths today. I don't want to scroll horizontally because someone set a table cell width to 700px, because this fits his screen perfectly. A percentage based width would be great. 

0 votes
Arne Solheim September 14, 2015

I would also vote for the table columns being default fluid, but have some mechanism for overriding it for one or more columns (either by dragging it in a WYSIWYG editor, and/or being able to use some markup to specify that a given column should have a fixed width).

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2015

@Volodymyr Krupach Speaking from a non-technical point of view, I was making the assumption when adding my own opinion below that default should be fluid (because it's the fastest option for informal, smaller tables), that changing it to fixed (perhaps better for more information-rich tables accessed by more users where more display refinement would be optimal) would be a relatively simple and seamless process. It must be easy and intuitive to be able to 'change states' between fluid and fixed in my view, perhaps via context-sensitive menu choices

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

I do not like idea of 2 table types. It's too complicated for such simple thing as table. Maybe we can have one table type that behaves as fluid and fixed: - After adding all columns are fluid. - when I drag a border column at left becomes "Fixed" and all other are still fluid. googled and looks like it's supported by css: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12641104/css-table-columns-width-fixed-dynamic30-dynamic70-fixed

0 votes
Leila_Pearson September 14, 2015

I also vote for "fluid" by default since this is what people are used to and it works for the majority of tables.

Regarding "fixed" mode, could you clarify if the resizing options mentioned (dragging column borders) are available in edit mode only or can people viewing the page also resize the columns to work for them?  Changes in view mode would not affect what others see, but could be stored for that person or for that browser session.

Another question about "fixed" - do you plan to provide some sort of page sizing options (sort of like page view in Word) or a ruler of some sort?  If you are trying to make a table that is formatted nicely for printing, this would be handy.

For me, a percentage mode (not typing in a percentage which is awkward, but dragging as described) would be quite handy in terms of having the table adapt to different screen sizes while still maintaining a nice ratio between column sizes.  So the table would work much like fluid mode, but the ratio between columns would be adjustable.  Presumably in fixed mode the table maintains a fixed size and side scrolling must be used to see all columns on smaller screens.

0 votes
Elisabeth Gie September 14, 2015

I think it would be great as a user preference, so I can set my pages to fixed but other users would be set to Fluid.

If I couldn't have the above option I would vote for Fluid and I would set the ones I needed to be set afterwards.

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2015

I vote for fluid by default. 

0 votes
polfer September 14, 2015

I would vote for fluid as the default.  I'd also vote for three options on the column: %, fixed, and none as options.

Story: As a table creator, I would like to be able to fix the width of one or more initial columns that I do not want to wrap, and reserve all remaining space for a final column so that I can create key-value style definition tables where the key(s) never wrap and the values column uses as much space as possible.

0 votes
Craig Castle-Mead September 14, 2015

Default - fluid (as is) with option to manually overwrite.  As per previous posters, the larger % of times the auto-sizing does the trick, it's having the power to set min/fixed/max widths on the rarer (but super important) occasions

0 votes
Christian Wilmanns September 14, 2015

Fluid as default. But please make sure to support relative AND absolute values for the cell width.

Great to see that this feature is eventually been worked on.

0 votes
Natasha Liberman September 14, 2015

I vote for "fluid" staying the default behavior. We definitely need option to set width (in some cases px, others %) for some of the columns, however, majority of tables don't need these explicit settings, so it would be great to have ability to set target width as an option but not as a rule.

0 votes
BenoitP
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2015

Fluid because I am worried about the way the "fixed" mode will be handled by the PDF exportation...

0 votes
jwuestefeld September 14, 2015

I would prefer the fluid mode as default. But this depends on how the fixed mode will be implemented. If the fixed mode will be implemented using absolute values then i definitely vote for the fluid mode. If the fixed mode values are relativ then i say, i don't care as long as it works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events