Which AMI should I use?

Maksym Kolov July 12, 2017

My company is now migrating from on-demand Confluence to our own Amazon Cloud. We can get several different AMIs to do the job. The question is which wuld be the best one and most up-to-date?

The Amazon Linux AMI is assumed to be the latest - it is at the top of the list. Although, it has no Java (hence no jdbc) installed.

Ubuntu instance (second one marked) seems to be 3 years old and has everything pre-configured, but it says that Confluence License has expired.

Which AMI is the best for having the Confluence Server up and running without any issues?

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2017

I am sorry that your image did not display so I could see the list. 

I wouldn't go with the one with the expired license.

My recommendation is to provision a Linux instance and then install Java and Confluence. Linux often comes with an unsupported version of Java so you will want to install one from our Supported platforms.

If you don't have an existing database server, PostgreSQL can be installed on the Linux instance as well: Database Setup for PostgreSQL

Then you can just follow Installing Confluence on Linux.

If you really want to use an AMI, please let us know more about your requirements. Perhaps someone in the Community who has used a third party AMI can offer input.

If you were installing Confluence Data Center, Atlassian has Cloud Formation templates: Data Center on AWS 

Maksym Kolov July 13, 2017

The company would like to use AMI. We will have this instance just for Confluence. It is going to be just a public collaboration/wiki instance.

The name of the most up-to-date AMI in the list is Atlassian Confluence 2017.4.26_0137(HMV). Our team is leaning towards it. So any specific suggestions for it would be much appreciated.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2017

Who provides the AMI? I am not finding it by googling the name.

Maksym Kolov July 13, 2017

It is Amazon Linux

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events