Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does it mention the valid structure for updating original time estimates?

Gelbana March 25, 2022

I was trying to update original estimates through code but the docs were misleading on that regard.

The edit issue API docs said that I can identify the editable fields by calling the edit-meta API.

I called the edit-meta API which returned the following response (ie. showing portions of the response only to clarify my problem)

{
"id": "timetracking",
"key": "timetracking",
"name": "Time tracking",
"custom": false,
"orderable": true,
"navigable": false,
"searchable": true,
"clauseNames": [],
"schema": {
"type": "timetracking",
"system": "timetracking"
}
},
{
"id": "timeoriginalestimate",
"key": "timeoriginalestimate",
"name": "Original estimate",
"custom": false,
"orderable": false,
"navigable": true,
"searchable": false,
"clauseNames": [
"originalEstimate",
"timeoriginalestimate"
],
"schema": {
"type": "number",
"system": "timeoriginalestimate"
}
},

Both clauses don't clarify that to update the original estimate field, I must send the following payload to the edit-issue API:

{
"fields": {
"timetracking": {
"originalEstimate": 1440
}
}
}

As you can see, the originalEstimate field is enclosed in a timetracking object.

I have been trying to send the following payload instead, but kept throwing errors

{
"fields": {
"originalEstimate": 1440
}
}

So could I have figured that out on my own!

I admit that the edit-issue API docs gave a clue to that. But what about other fields with a similar case? I mean, how can I rely on the docs if they don't guide me to the valid structure for that field and others too?

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2022

@Gelbana It has it right in the example JSON.  I am pretty sure that it has been that way forever in the documentation.  I have never had issues with the documentation.  I would recommend look at the examples.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events