Where Did *Email Settings Go* In Confluence Cloud?

AB July 16, 2018

I have a few questions about Confluence Cloud.

1. As referenced in Confluence Cloud Support documentation, there were E-mail notification settings that users could set to their own preference within their profile. Most people used these settings to STOP being bombarded with email notifications for every change made to a page. 

Here's a screenshot of what was PREVIOUSLY there (that has disappeared): 
ss_cloud.png

This feature was accessible up until about last week. Now when you look in Profile > Manage Account > there's nothing in the interface allowing you to disable the notifications.  The "email" tab only shows the option to change your email, OR, opt out of Atlassian 'marketing' and no other options. 

Did something change or were email settings moved to somewhere else?

2. There was previously a "Users" page showing ALL users in your Confluence Cloud instance. This too has disappeared. Now, even when someone is added as a user, they cannot see anyone else on their team. You have to 'manually' search for a User name. And this doesn't work consistently, even when the user name you're searching exists.

The above are causing user confusions. Thank you if anyone can help explain/clarify. 

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2018

@AB

Ok, I've been looking around and with a bit of an assist by @Jack Brickey, I think I may have an answer for you.   There are two different areas you can be in when you log in.  One is Atlassian Home and one is Confluence.  You can tell which you are in by the icon on the upper left. if I am logged into the Atlassian Home or the site admin screens, and I go to "your profile" I have just the behavior you described, The "email" tab only shows the option to change your email, OR, opt out of Atlassian 'marketing' and no other options. 

Atlassian Home.PNGThis is Atlassian Home

Confluence home.PNGThis is Confluence Home

You can switch between them using the three lines, or 'hamburger' menu. Home at the top and the Apps at the bottom.  Select Confluence.

Menu.PNG

Make sure you see the Confluence logo at the top of the menu.

Once you are there, you should be able to follow the standard documentation to change your email setting, manage watches and such.  

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/email-notifications-724765358.html

To edit your email notification settings:

1. Choose your profile picture at the bottom of the sidebar, then choose Settings

2. Click Email in the left-hand panel
  3. Click Edit

eamil setting.PNG

Give this a try and let me know if you see the setting you were originally expecting.

AB July 16, 2018

I need a moment to vet through your steps but will def check it out. I did try going through Atlassian and didn't find the options but I wasn't sure where to look either.

Edited: having connection troubles. :(

I will check it out per your steps above and post back! Thanks Kimberly! 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2018

Kimberly, good write up. Keeping my fingers crossed this works for AB.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2018

@Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ Thanks for the detailed explanation!

AB July 16, 2018

@Kimberly Deal [Columbus AUG] I checked this and getting to this was a bit different. For some reason very circular --- I couldn't seem to get Confluence to open to the General Config page (which is the page you were referencing for the specific "Confluence" link in your steps above) it kept cycling back to my confluence instance landing page.  

However, I did find it. Via: 

1. 'yourinstancename'.atlassian.net/wiki/admin/viewgeneralconfig.action

2. That takes you to the "General Configuration" page. 

3. From there you see the 'settings' option that includes the field with 'notification settings' you can set to preference. 

Screenshot (personal info redacted): 

GeneralConfig.SS.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

@AB

Looks like you are in the Configuration area for Confluence, if you drop out to any regular space, you should be able to follow the instructions.  A way to tell if you are in the configuration is the dark or deep blue vs bright blue.

AB July 16, 2018

I had a real problem getting to this but successful by direct URL to the General Config page. And you are right, the Site Admin page (which from Confluence is the only initial access) is also blue and also has a 'profile' but not the one we were looking for! :) 

Thanks again for taking the time to lend a hand. R esolved.

PS: Any info on how we can view "All People" on the "People" page? Previously this showed all users and a profile icon. But now it redirects to '/people/search' (which the search has not been reliable and truly annoying). A simple page with all users was just easier to get to.... Thanks so much again.  

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2018

@AB

I know, its super confusing.  

I am still looking into the All People part of your question, I hope I can get an answer back to you on that one shortly.

AB July 17, 2018

Thanks so much Kimberly! the only other thing I can think of is to create a page and manually add profile links and icons to it. 

I'm honestly not sure why they would change the interface and force a search and all those steps which seem needless. 

I assumed they were making changes and it would resolve but it's been like that for a few weeks and I don't see any benefit or purpose to it so I wasn't sure if maybe that was just a bug or something else...  

Thx again. 

0 votes
AB July 18, 2018

Reference URL for "People" in Confluence Cloud documentation: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/search-the-people-directory-724765425.html

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2018

@AB

I am trying to look into your second part
2. There was previously a "Users" page showing ALL users in your Confluence Cloud instance. This too has disappeared. Now, even when someone is added as a user, they cannot see anyone else on their team. You have to 'manually' search for a User name. And this doesn't work consistently, even when the user name you're searching exists.

I don't have a lot of users in my cloud instance of Confluence, so they all show up on the same page when I look at them under User Management.  The user names are gone, but their full name and email address and search seems to function correctly. 

you mention that they can't see anyone on their team though, which makes me think that you are talking about something other than the User Management screen. 

Am I correct in thinking that it is the People option on the menu?

Cloud Confluence Menu.JPG

AB July 18, 2018

Hi Kimberly! Yes. previously "People" showed all users (people) with profile icon at url >  /people/.

But some time recently, all that changed.  "People" now goes to a "search" page which is functionally useless and displays *no people*.

You haveto try to 'search' to see any person, and that only returns a result *if* you actually interacted with them on the system. Otherwise you can search all day, and it shows nothing. 

The url now redirects to >  /people/search/

The previous display showed the actual people in your confluence on your team, and that seems to no longer exist.

Now it's just a search which serves no purpose.

It made more sense the way it was, when it displayed what one would expect to see -- e.g. "people" (not a blank search field). .  

Thanks for checking. 

Edited: See this screenshot. This is what I'm looking for that seems gone. 

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

@AB

I can confirm those setting for control of what emails are sent, just seem to be flat out missing, I've looked extensively through my cloud instances and cannot find anywhere central to manage my watch settings.  I did find these changes in the the Atlassian Cloud Changes documentation, that talk about changing to the Atlassian profile.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2018/07/atlassian-cloud-changes-jul-9-to-jul-16-2018

I am going to check the bug tickets and see if anyone else has reported this issue.

AB July 16, 2018

Thank you Kimberly! I'm new to confluence and our team chose this as the best option against many others for the project we have. I really hope that any changes they make will be updated in the actual support documentation as that's what new customers (new users) of their system would be looking at. 
I noticed this change with settings as well as the 'people' page changed (actually missing entirely) from what it was previously. Not welcome changes in all honesty. We really liked being able to disable notifications as well as easily click on "People" and see a clear list with profile icon of all users. 

Thanks for looking into this! (PS: I tried to @ you but the system is not working correctly and somehow reads that as "invalid" so I hope you receive this reply of thanks.) 

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Thanks AB!  And welcome to the community.

I did want you to know that this is being escalated to the product team, for more information on why these controls are missing.  It may take some time for an answer, but I will update here as soon as I hear back. In the mean time, I'll keep an eye out for a solution or work around.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 16, 2018

@AB and Kimberly there is an issue with users being able to @ people with parentheses in their username. You could change the () to [] to avoid this, @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_

AB July 16, 2018

Thanks again Kimberly for the follow up! Much appreciated. I am wondering if they make back-end changes, do they post that somewhere for their customers?  (Like: a live 'status' of known/new issues). Wondering... 

Thank you Monique for the info on syntax in User names. Good to know! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2018

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events