Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Confluence updates be able to correctly convert files that originally were in Word?

Carla Breidenbach May 19, 2021

Due to space limitations for the question, I am providing my intended questions here in full:  Will Confluence updates be able to convert files correctly from Word through all subsequent Confluence-to-Confluence conversions? Will Confluence continue to support all older versions without requiring conversions?

We converted a "Microsoft 365 Apps for business" Word file to Confluence a few months back. Microsoft updates are done regularly, so I don't have a version for the Word progra,. Word symbols such as right arrows did not convert at that time, though it looked like everything else converted correctly. 

When I made some changes to that document on 5/19/21, there was a pop-up message indicating conversion to the new Confluence release would be problematic.  Tables that converted from Word with no problem will apparently be deleted if I were to update to the new Confluence version, and the links that converted from Word to Confluence are now anchors that don't show the actual names of the links, which is definitely not helpful.  

We want to use Confluence as a long-term reference base, so it is not helpful if this problem continues unless Confluence plans to continue to support all older versions without requiring conversions.  

Can you help?

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2021

If you are using Confluence Cloud and have Office 365 accounts, I suggest embedding the word documents directly. It will mean less effort and stress.

Communardo has a very nice Sharepoint/ OneDrive integration that allows to do this and they are very responsive to feature requests.

There are other similar apps but I have only tried this one.

Carla Breidenbach May 20, 2021

Thank you!

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2021

Glad to help!

Almuth Boehme [Communardo] May 21, 2021

Hello to both of you,

Thank you for recommending the SharePoint Connector and the kind words.

Carla, if there are any questions that we can help with about the app, please do not hesitate to contact us here or via the Customer Portal.

You can also find more details in our documentation.

Best

Almuth

Communardo Support

1 vote
Answer accepted
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

@Carla BreidenbachLikely not all versions of Word will be supported in the future.

One solution I can think of is to attach the wordfile to the Confluence page as a sort of backup (which partially defeats the purpose of using Confluence in the first place).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events