When importing word document images fail to import, attach and display.

IT Department May 2, 2012

I have already opened a support ticket for this, but tech support were unable to reproduce. So i am now posting here to see if anyone has any ideas?

After completing a fresh installation of Confluence on a virtual machine for production use, I am facing an issue where images from word docs are not importing at all using the 'Import Word Document' feature in Confluence. Nothing has been changed from the standard installation.

If I use tools->'Import Word Document' the images will not import, insert and display at all. I know this should work as I recently installed an evaluation version and still have it running side by side. Both the evaluation and production versions are standard installs with no plugins or modifications. The specifications are listed below for diagnosis.

I appreciate the help with this issue.

(I have now completed two fresh installations, one with one-click install, other self-install, both exhibit problem)

Environment details:

Production install -
Server: Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine - newly deployed for this purpose
Confluence: Version 4.2 x64
Database: Postgre 8.4.11
Database location: Local to server (D:)
Attachment storage: 'D:\confluence\confluence-home\attachments'

I have also setup an AD account to run as service

· - Created a new Active Directory user with default permissions

· - Setup the Atlassian Confluence Windows service account to start as the new Active Directory user

· - Gave the new AD user write permissions to Confluence install dirs temp/log/work (D:\confluence\confluence\temp|log|work)

· - Gave the new AD user write permissions to the home dir (D:\confluence\confluence-home\*.*)

Thanks!

9 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
HuseinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2012

This sounds like a new bug in Confluence 4.1.9 or higher that affects DOCX document only: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-25477 . The current workaround is to convert the .DOCX document to .DOC format as described in the bug report.

0 votes
Deborah Love June 13, 2012

Thanks for your feedback; I understand the workaround but think it is 'cluegy' at best. Off to another topic, Does your org write content in Word and then publish it? We have a push at our org to create all content in Confluence; I'm not 100% convinced a 'one size fits all approach' to content is the way to go...Just wondering how other orgs handle content creation and publication...so we can learn from others.

0 votes
Christian Reichert June 13, 2012

I had the same Problem in .docx Files with some Images - as a Workaround, saving to Word 97 and then importing the old .doc Format File worked without any Problems in these instances.

Not a real Solution but a doable workaround for a while.

0 votes

Thanks for your feedback; I understand the workaround but think it is 'cluegy' at best. Off to another topic, Does your org write content in Word and then publish it? We have a push at our org to create all content in Confluence; I'm not 100% convinced a 'one size fits all approach' to content is the way to go...Just wondering how other orgs handle content creation and publication...so we can learn from others.

Christian Reichert June 13, 2012

Hi Deborah.

we use Confluence by now to pretty much generate all our content. Even down to letters by now. It does work very well for us (using the Scroll Office Plugin for different Word Export Templates).

However we also did adjust some of our Documents so that we generate them in a Way, which looks good from the Word export. Meaning if you need the last tiny bit of fine tuning and functionality Word offers, then this probably not a good Way for you.
However if you generally want to generate good looking "normal" Documents, then the Confluence approach (including Templates, included etc) can be fantastic!

0 votes

Mick, One other question - do your screen captures (jpg's or otherwise) have callouts? I capture a screen shot add callouts and 'group' them with my image in Word.

And cheers to you.

Mick Davidson June 13, 2012

No they don't. They're just bog standard images, nothing fancy.

0 votes
Deborah Love June 12, 2012

Mick, What file format for the images? png or other?

Mick Davidson June 12, 2012

Sorry, just had a Doh! moment, see my comment above. :)

0 votes

I've had this problem myself after upgrading to 4.2.

I've just converted two .docx files to .doc and both uploaded all the contents properly.

As far as I was aware we didn't have a problem uploading .docx before we upgraded from V4. In fact I'd uploaded several .docx files without any problems.

cheers.

Deborah,

For the doc that someone else was having a problem with, I don't know. It wasn't my doc and although I looked, I couldn't find anything about the graphic files that said what they were.

For my own doc they are .jpg files.

I found that both jpg and png files upload properly almost all the time.

Cheers.

0 votes
Deborah Love June 3, 2012

Really? I don't believe this is a new bug. I had issues using Word 2003 and png images not importing. I was told to use docx and png files instead. This worked...until our firm loaded Confluence 4.x version. Now, Import from Word (docx) with png images (that are embedded with callouts in Word) do not display.

0 votes
Paul Gettier May 2, 2012

I am really waiting for a response to this as well....HELP

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events