What's a Confluence Gadget?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Years ago I disabled a bunch of system plugins relating to gadgets somewhat out of paranoia coupled with the fact I didn't see a need for people putting garbage in our wiki that connected to 3rd party sites. It just seemed fairly useless yet a great opportunity for security flaws. This was back on Confluence version 3 something. Back then I remember seeing a bunch of junk available to the end user labeled as "gadgets" that just seemed dumb.

Now we've upgraded to 4.3.7, and based on some weird log file errors I've reenabled all those system plugins. I can't see any difference in the user interface and I can't actually remember where gadgets used to live. I've had a look at the Confluence documentation and it seems like Gadgets are very limited, much more than I remember them. I can't see any where that end users can utilise anything related to "gadgets", even in the macro browser. Does anyone have any clues as to what it means to have gadgets enabled? Can I just relax now days?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2013

Hello Sam,

Here in this link you can find all the information available for the Confluence gadgets (just to confirm if you already saw this article):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Gadgets

So basically if you have the gadgets enabled at your instance then you'll be able to use the above features, just this. If you disable the gadgets, the only restriction that you'll have at your instance will be that you'll not be able to use the above features. If your users will not use this kind of feature then no worries in disabling it. I think you can relax, no worries.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

LJ.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events