Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to store common attributes across pages for reporting and insights?

Patricia Vickers June 29, 2022

In my company we use Confluence to document our individual clients using a templated structure for each client. Within each client, we would like to mark the services we provide for them. Using that information, we would like to view all client pages that have a specific attribute, multiple attributes, etc.

Originally, I was thinking of doing this using Page Properties and keeping the columns consistent, one for each service provided. This does take up a good bit of page space and I can't seem to slice/dice that data to view Clients with a specific Page Property/Service.

Another option I am thinking of is using labels on the clients pages to mark each of the services that we provide for them. This is the easiest for making "Content by Label" pages that show the clients meeting specific label sets. The drawback I am having with this is how its visible on the page, since its only visible at the bottom of the clients page in a hashtag style. 

Is there another way to display the labels that are used on each individual page? 

Is there another way we could be storing a consistent set of attributes across client page that we can slice and dice to see what clients have what subset of services?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Page properties are, as you say, probably the most powerful and useful way to do this, but yes, labels are another option.

So, to answer this

> Is there another way to display the labels that are used on each individual page? 

Yes.  On server, you can write "user macros".  One of these could be created as a pretty simple "output labels on current page" and then your users can put it into the body of a page wherever you wanted to see the labels (they'd still appear at the bottom of course)

Patricia Vickers July 1, 2022

Thank you so much! I wrote a user macro to do exactly as you said. Its perfect! We just needed them more visible than at the bottom of the page.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2022

User macros are a widely unappreciated feature of Confluence!

2 votes
Darja Majninger (K15t) June 30, 2022

Hi Patricia

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Reading your use case, I think our newest app Orderly Databases for Confluence would be a good solution for you. Unfortunately, it is only for Cloud. But if you chose to switch to Cloud in the future, Orderly could be very interesting for you.

With Orderly you can build a database for your services or your customers (or build two databases and link them to each other) and use a lot of different field types to enter all kinds of metadata about your customers. 

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 11.27.55.png

Then, by using the Orderly Database macro, you can reference this data on any page you like in form of a table or cards. Also, this table can of course be filtered based on the values you entered in the databases (e.g. filter by labels).

There is a lot of different functionality and many use cases, so if you are interested in learning more about Orderly, just contact us at help@k15t.com!

Cheers,
Darja

Patricia Vickers June 30, 2022

Hello Darja,

I appreciate this solution, unfortunately we are not purchasing additional apps at this time. I am trying to do what I can with the solution we have already. 

Thank you!

0 votes
Søren Bagger August 3, 2022

Hi Patricia

In my company we document the clients similar to you. 

Each client has a main-page and some sub-pages. On the main page we add labels for all products we support for that client. 

> Is there another way to display the labels that are used on each individual page?

Yes - using the 'Content by Label'-macro you can show the labels added to that particular page.

You must specify at least one of the labels on that page. AND you must set a filter using 'With title' and type in the title of your page. (You'll have to do this for all client-pages)

For each product we then have a Confluence-page showing the clients that have that label attached. 

We use the same macro but make sure to specify the correct label and leave out the filter. 

BR Søren

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events