Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to document the action taken to complete a task?

Brett Mayhew January 25, 2019

When an action is created in a meeting or retrospective and you check the box to mark it complete, how can you document the action taken to mark it closed. It will disappear from the page without the option to provide information.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2019

Hi Brett,

Where you create the action item (i.e. the Confluence page where the task is added) the box will stay. I suppose you're referring to the task report that collects all the tasks from other pages. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 5.12.03 PM.png

If so, there is a column with a link to the original page where the task was created:

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 5.16.02 PM.png

You could create bullet points under the task; or a table where one column includes the action items and another  column, the details; or you could create a JIRA ticket and include the JIRA ticket in the Confluence page by using the JIRA macro:

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 5.19.26 PM.png

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Brett Mayhew January 28, 2019

Carlos,

Thanks for the response.  Yes I am referring to the Task Report Template.  I like the idea of the bullet, but bullet does not show up in the Task Report Status macro.

I would like to see at a glance without navigating to the originating page what the action taken was. Is there a way to modify the task report Status Macro to include that action taken information?

Thanks.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2019

Yeah, I agree that there is not a lot of flexibility. The tasks will "disappear" from the report when they're complete if you configured the macro to show incomplete tasks (you can configure the macro to show complete tasks, but then you don't list the incomplete tasks combined with the completed ones).

In regard to include bullet points, you can do this but finding the original page where the task is, go to the end of the sentence, and click enter. This will add a new task box, but you can convert it to a bullet point by clicking on the 'bullet list" option in the confluence ribbon. The bullet point are part of the task, so they'll show up in the task report.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 10.50.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 10.52.40 AM.png

Brett Mayhew January 30, 2019

Carlos,

Thank you for your time and help. 

Following your directions, I have tried going to the original page, selected Edit, put the cursor at the end of the line with the Task. Then pressing Enter at the end of the line and a new task box shows up. I typed texted, changed it to a bullet and then published the page.   Results shown below.

2019-01-30_1635.png

When returning to the Task Status report here is the result.  Same result if the Task has been marked complete or not.

2019-01-30_1637.png2019-01-30_1637_001.png

We are using Confluence 6.12.0 hosted on our own server.  I am accessing via goggle chrome.  If I have missed something in the process please let me know.

Brett

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2019

Hey Brett, Before converting the box to a bullet, indent It (e.g. using tab), and then convert to bullet. This worked for me... I tried Server and Cloud with same results. I don't think the browser matters. Let me know how it goes.

Brett Mayhew February 14, 2019

Carlos,

That finally worked.  Thank you!

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2019

Great! I'm glad to hear that. :-)

ckent May 14, 2020

@Carlos Garcia Navarro

This is not working for me. I'm trying to create a Bulleted list &/or Numbered List underneath a corresponding Action Item on the Confluence page I'm actively working on.

Here are the instructions I've executed that you've outlined and the subsequent result:

Setup & Assumptions:

1. Create a Task directed at a specific person on the team
  2. Complete the Task (check the box)
  3. Place the cursor at the end of the Task and Press Enter
    • A new Semi-transparent Task list entity is created
    • Cursor immediately moves to the beginning of the new Task just created

Actions and Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Press Tab
    • Indent does not occur, not as expected
  2. Press Enter a 2nd time
    • A New Line is created and the cursor exits the Task List going to the New Line
  3. Press Tab on the New line that was created
    • Tab works, as expected
  4. Select the Bullet Icon to insert a Bullet
    • Bullet Icon is interactive to user selection, but no Bullet is actually created on the page at the Cursor's location, not as expected

I've used Confluence Cloud and Server many times in the past at various organizations for years. This is the first time I've experienced this functionality not working on any given Confluence page. Suffice to say, I'm quiet familiar with this behavior, its just not working...

Expected Result (the behavior I've done for years prior):

• Create Task, Bullet or Number Lists
  • Be able to Indent any of them
  • Also be able to change each indent level of a given List type to another List type if desired (Task, Bullet, Numbered etc.)
    • Much like what is displayed in your screenshots.

Actual Result:

This is functionality only seems to presently work on Bulleted or Numbered Lists, not with Task Lists

The present version of our Confluence Cloud is: 

Confluence 1000.0.0-5dfed193176e

Please let me know if there is further assistance I can provide. This is really frustrating that this isn't working.

Is there some Confluence Space or Site setting I need to adjust. Please advise.

Respectfully,

- Chris

P.S. It looks like this issue has been reported against the new Confluence Cloud UI located here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65755?_ga=2.246463431.2131140364.1589480060-1433763338.1584554801

Please ^ resolve ASAP!!!!! Super annoying...

Sina Abdi May 26, 2021

Does this still work? Ive been trying to figure it out, but seems to not work anymore.

Monali February 22, 2023

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events