Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is affected by the Global Default Language?

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2017

The Confluence Documentation does not really offer information about which contents use the Global Default Language and which contents use the user's preferences.

According to the Help Tips at /admin/viewlanguage.action, the GDL "will only affect users if their browser does not send a language to Confluence [...]".

This is just wrong. As of Confluence 6.1.2 (or also older ones like 5.9.7), the GDL also affects (at least):

• the subjects of outgoing e-mails (only the mail content will be in the User's language)
  • default Templates

In both cases, the user's preference is ignored. Does this happen on purpose?

I understand there are some reasons, why Templates should be the same throughout Confluence. But why shouldn't an e-mail subject be in the same language as its contents?

And why am I not able to find this information in the Confluence Documentation? I'd really appreciate if Atlassian engaged more in means of multilingualism...

Back to the initial question: What exactly is affected by the Global Default Language?

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2017

Per Choosing a Default Language the default language should be applied to all spaces in your Confluence site.

The email subject line issue is a bug, not intended behavior:

Language settings about email notifications of sharing pages on Confluence

The bug is public so feel free to vote and/or comment on it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events