What does Confluence Integrations > Applications Links actually do?

Jeremy Price November 26, 2019

As you can see in my screen shot I've configured an individual Jira project to an individual Confluence space. I understand that it is linking those two items together, however I don't see the actually functionality of linking those items together. 

I've already created the regular Application links between my two environments from a top level. So I'm trying to find documentation or anything that relates to this feature within Confluence and can't find it. I can only find documentation on how to link two environments together which is completely different and I already know how to do that.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.14.22 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2019

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for contacting us.

When you integrate Jira with Confluence via Application Links, there are a number of features you will be able to use.

For example, you will be able to do the following in Confluence using Jira data (see Use Jira applications and Confluence together for the full set of instructions):

• Display Jira issues
  • Create Jira reports and charts
  • Create Jira issues on the fly
  • Navigate easily between Jira and Confluence

If you have already linked Jira in your Application Links, and these features aren't working, please show us what your Application links pages look like on both the Jira and Confluence side. Include any error messages you are getting in your server logs.

Regards,

Shannon

Jeremy Price December 5, 2019

Thank you for that detailed response. I have my original Application links set up and working fine between both applications. Jira and Confluence. 

I am more referencing the integration option that is within the setting of a Confluence space. If those options basically do the same functions then I understand I don't need to change anything. I was more interested in what is the difference between the two integrations if there were any. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2019

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for clarifying. So you're referring to when you link a specific Confluence space to a Jira project. Is that right? 

Formerly, this feature used to have functionalities that would allow you to work between the associated space and project, but with our new application links, this feature is no longer required.

There is a feature request below to deprecate it or clarify the differences, as there's no noticeable difference according to this case:

The features that used to be within that setting are now available in App Links as well as the Jira issues macro. 

I hope that clarifies things for you but do let me know if you have any further questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

Jeremy Price December 6, 2019

Thank you for that clarification of them. That make complete sense. I'm glad they do the same functions. 

Like Shannon S likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events