What do I do when I get the "saved as draft" message?

John Garison January 27, 2017

I don't understand why I am seeing the "A version of this page you were editing date/time was saved as a draft. Do you want to view the changes, resume editing, or discard it?" or what I should do.

• If I worked on a page, and saved the session, should I see this  message?  [IMHO - No]
  • If I worked on a page and did not save my edits, should I see this message?  [IMHO - Yes, but the message should be more specific]
  • If I opened a page in Edit mode and Closed it either w/o making changes or making changes I want to discard, should I see this message?   [IMHO - No]

It comes down to what "editing" and "saved as a draft" mean I guess. In situations where I have encountered this message and I have a good idea of what I had been doing (it happened recently, not 5 months ago):

• When I click "view the change" I have yet to see anything highlighted that would indicate what was changed. 
  • When I click "resume editing" I have yet to detect anything missing or unchanged.
  • When I click "discard" I have yet to detect any lost content
  • When I click the X I have very rarely discovered lost text, but I'm 99.99% convinced that is due to Okta (security app).

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2017

A draft is an automatic save of a page.

There is no "save a session", so I'm not sure what the problem is.  You save a page, and it's completed, so there's no draft.

If you leave a page edited but do not save, and the draft auto-saves, then yes, you should get question if you go back to it.

I do agree with you that a draft that is identical to the source because you never actually edited anything should not ask though - it's not useful really,

0 votes
John Garison January 27, 2017

If a draft is an autosaved version of a page, it should be overwrotten when the page is either Saved or Closed. "If you leave a page edited but do not save, and the draft auto-saves, then yes, you should get question if you go back to it." implies that this is the only situation where I should see this message ... but it isn't. If only it were.

I KNOW I have edited and saved a page, and gone back to edit it again a short time later and I see this message. I also see it in various flavors at other times, and even for changes made in a different version (Scroll version), and IIRC even for different files. 

I guess my real issue is that it is a vague and often misleading error message that does not help me and actually confuses more than it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events