What are the recommended best practices to make content as searchable as possible on Confluence?

Chelsea Waxenberg February 10, 2020

It is sometimes challenging to find the content I'm looking for in our instance of Confluence by using the Search function. Ideally, I'd like our teams to be able to type in keywords and find the articles, pages, and resources they're looking for. Are there any tips or best practices to make this more accurate? Labels? What do you recommend?

Note: I have already read this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/search-139528.html

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

Hi @Chelsea Waxenberg 

There are a number of best practices:

• The Live search macro is pretty good. 
  • Filter search is very good giving one loads of options to search documentation. 
  • You could create a menu system and add related content to a sub-menu. 
    Menu for Confluence.png
  • You could create landing pages for key topics and include a Content by Label macro on each of the landing pages and then on the related pages have a defined label. 
  • Another good macro is Recently Updated, it shows recently updated pages, useful if you are wanting to keep up with changes. A good location to put this macro is on our front page or on a landing page. 
  • Encouraging the use of the Share button and or user mentions, is one helpful way to keep everyone informed. 

-Mike

Chelsea Waxenberg February 10, 2020

Thanks for all this! Is there such a concept as "tagging"? What I am trying to solve for is adding tags for commonly searched terms that may not actually appear on the page or content piece, but that users might use when looking for those pages/content pieces.

Like Dave Vrona likes this
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

Hi @Chelsea Waxenberg

I am not aware of tagging, but labels must come close.

I forgot to mention you could also have a labels list that one can pick to find a related page(s).

-Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events