Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to Pre-Predict URL of Wiki Page?

Ralph Bolton January 4, 2022

Our monitoring system generates alerts, into which I'd like to put a link to Confluence for the alert in question. Since we create alerts all the time, the Confluence pages for them aren't yet written though, so I'd like to pro-actively like to put a link to where the page will be, if someone writes it (yes, I know you can argue the doco should get written first, but it isn't, so we've got to work with it).

The URLs of Confluence pages are no longer predictable because of the PageID (this wasn't the case some years ago, but never mind..)

If the alert has no page created, then obviously I'd expect Confluence to return a 404 type message. However, for pages that have been created, I'd like the user to end up there as normal.

All the alert documentation will be below a specific ancestor page, which already exists, so I know the URL/pageID for it.

By way of an example, let's say I have an alert called "disk_space". I'd like to generate a URL something like:

https://example.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ME/pages/1234567890/Monitoring+disk_space

(the actual page will called "Monitoring: disk_space")

Onto possible solutions:

The PageIDs aren't predictable, so I think I'm out of luck there.

Short URLs (like the share URLs) are based on PageID, so I'm out of luck there too.

The search feature is quite close to what's required. I can perform a search with:

https://example.atlassian.net/wiki/search?text=Monitoring%3A%20disk_space&title=true&ancestor=23452345

This returns at most one or two results, but there's apparently no way to do an "I'm feeling lucky" to immediately go to the first result.

Are there any other ways to work out a (possibly non-existent) page URL and send the user there?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

Hi @Ralph Bolton

Welcome to the community!

Just to clarify, you have an alert system that sends notifications with links to confluence pages. However, new alerts get created on the fly, so in most cases no links to confluence exist. Is this correct? Are the alerts created by you?

I think that the only solution is to create the confluence page right away manually with no content when new alerts get created and add the link.

Cheers

Ralph Bolton January 7, 2022

Yes, you're right - the monitoring system would like to generate the URLs, even if the pages don't yet exist.

It does seem I'm out of luck here. An "I'm feeling lucky" search feature would probably solve it quite nicely (ie. for pages that exist, it'd go straight there, for those that don't, the user at least gets to see some other, possibly relevant, pages).

For now I'm going with links to search results - it's the best that's possible, without having to create dozens of (probably empty, or at least "under construction") pages and then have some sort of lookup feature in the monitoring tool to look up the correct link for the alert in question.

Thanks for your suggestions :-)

0 votes
Sean Odell April 21, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events