Warum stürzt unser Confluence Server (Selbst gehostet) ab?

360__IT_GmbH October 18, 2019

Hello everybody,
after updating our Confluence instance from version 6.15.1 to version 7.0.3 on Wednesday, it has been unreachable 2 times.
We never had this case before the upgrade.

The Confluence instance is used on a Windows Server 2016 and a MySQL database 5.7

What information do you need to find the error.

Best regards
Tobias Lingel

Hallo zusammen,
nachdem ich am Mittwoch unsere Confluence Instanz von Version 6.15.1 auf Version 7.0.3 aktuallisiert habe, ist dieser schon 2 mal nicht erreichbar gewesen.
Diesen Fall hatten wir vor dem Upgrade noch nie.

Verwendet wird die Confluence Instanz auf einem Windows Server 2016 und einer MySQL Datenbank 5.7

Welche Informationen benötigen Sie um den Fehler finden zu können.

Viele Grüße
Tobias Lingel

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for raising this with us.

You mention you haven't been able to access your Confluence site twice since upgrading. I have a few follow-up questions for you.

1. Can you confirm if this means that it always isn't accessible, or it's generally accessible but has been going down?
  2. Walk me through your entire upgrade process, letting me know how you performed the upgrade and each step you took.
  3. What happens when you try to access your site? Do you get an error message? Are you not able to start Confluence successfully? Please share with us any screenshots of the error you're encountering.
  4. Please completely stop Confluence and start it up again, tail the Confluence Server Logs and let me know what errors your site is encountering upon startup.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

360__IT_GmbH October 22, 2019

Hello Shannon,

yesterday we had the third crash since the upgrade.
Access to the Confluence is generally possible.
We get the crash, the website does not answer anymore.

How do we perform the upgrades?
First of all, all plugins are patched.
Then we check via "Update Check" if all plug-ins are compatible.

Now we download the setup file: https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download

This file is then started and followed by the wizard.
We have to stop the Windows service "Confluence080917081758" manually because the wizard does not finish it.

At the end of the update process we do not confirm the button "start Confluence".

We make adjustments to the following file:
<Installation directory> \ Atlassian \ Confluence \ conf \ server.xml

<Connector port = "8090" connectionTimeout = "20000" redirectPort = "8443"
           maxThreads = "48" minSpareThreads = "10"
           enableLookups = "false" acceptCount = "10" debug = "0" URIEncoding = "UTF-8"
           protocol = "org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
           proxyName = "<proxyurl>" proxyPort = "443" scheme = "https" />

Next we adapt the following file:
<Installation directory> \ Atlassian \ Confluence \ confluence \ WEB-INF \ web.xml

<Session-config>
    <Session-timeout> 180 </ session-timeout>
    <Tracking mode> COOKIE </ tracking mode>
</ Session-config>

Now we finish the Wizzard and start if necessary the Windows service "Confluence080917081758" manually.

The Confluence itself worked right after the upgrade.
At some point we get but no answer in the browser and currently only helps restart the server.

But since our Confluence has to be reachable from the outside (that's why the upstream proxy), a crash is very bad.

I have created a support file, how can I send it to you?

Regards

Tobias Lingel

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2019

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for your reply! I wanted to let you know first that I moved your reply into the main thread, for ease of legibility. 

I consulted the team, and it appears we have a known issue right now in 7.0.1, 7.0.2, and 7.0.3 that is causing UPM to hang and then bring down the rest of the instance.

• CONFSERVER-58927 If the Marketplace is unreachable, UPM causes Confluence 7.0.1 to hang for 30sec per UI click

We suspect that this could be what is bringing your instance down. Could you give the workaround a try and let me know if it improves anything?

In Confluence, disable connectivity to Marketplace:

• Confluence Administration >> General Configuration >> Manage Apps >> Settings >> Uncheck the 'Connect to the Atlassian Marketplace' box, then click 'Apply'

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Shannon

360__IT_GmbH October 23, 2019

Hello Shannon,

I have made the setting and hope that the problem is settled.
Should it come again to an unavailability, I will write here again.

Best regards
Tobias

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2019

Tobias,

Thank you for confirming! Were you able to see performance improve when the change was made? 

Regards,

Shannon

360__IT_GmbH October 29, 2019

Hello Shannon,

currently confluence works without errors.

Best regards
Tobias Lingel

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2019

That's great, thank you for the confirmation!

If you watch the bug ticket, you can be alerted to when there's a version released which fixes the issue, and then you can undo that temporary change.

Have a nice week, Tobias!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events