• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • View Only. What's the fastest way to arrange things so a user called readonly (or similar) can only view (& not edit) everything we setup in multiple Confluence spaces? I.e. Everything we create by default is can only be viewed by a certain user.

View Only. What's the fastest way to arrange things so a user called readonly (or similar) can only view (& not edit) everything we setup in multiple Confluence spaces? I.e. Everything we create by default is can only be viewed by a certain user.

4 answers

The easiest way would be to have everyone who can edit in one group, and only give editing rights to that group.

See the space permission documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Assigning+Space+Permissions.  Then configure your readonly user in the Individual User area to only have view permissions for the desirable spaces.

Cheers!

Thanks, we've really tried these approaches. We were hoping for an easy & quick way so all new users were default view only (earning right to edit sort of thinking).

Don't give confluence-users (that is the default group that all users belong to) editing rights in any space – use space permissions to only give viewing rights. 

Create a second group (confluence-editors, for example) and give that group editing rights in each space.  Add the users to that group as they earn the rights.

I think that is as easy as it is going to get.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

388 views 21 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you