Using Jira for workflow of Confluence documentation?

heather james June 29, 2014

I'm building technical documentation within Confluence for a client. It started out lightweight, but they want a workflow process for request > draft > approval > publish > revise > publish. They requested I use Jira to track this.

I felt that this was far too much overhead and process. It also seemed backward or the "wrong way" of using Jira to integrate with Confluence. And there's no way I can see that Jira controls confluence actions such as to publish, etc.

I've stalled for a while, but I need to find a solution for documentation workflow.

I have seen Comalatech's Ad-hoc workflow solution. But I don't think this client will pay for the custom tool. I will broach the subject.

Though, if I had some examples of successes or failures in using 'Jira for Confluence workflow', it would be really helpful.

Has anyone seen examples of that? I'm finding it hard to locate what I need through the usual searches.

1 answer

0 votes
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2014

Hello Heather, you are correct on the assumption that the Ad Hoc Workflows would fit better for the tastk sought, nevertheless it is known that some people have used JIRA for tracking the writting process, as you can see in this third-party blog.

The configuration of the workflows may be the biggest task in this usage scenario, once you have the process setup you can use JIRA to track the doc writting progress.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events