Using AD for permission restrictions

Martyn_Crass February 13, 2020

Hi,

We are in the process of introducing Confluence but I have a question regarding the use of AD and permission restrictions. We will be in a position where we will use AD and will have roles - admins, contributors & users. We will also then have sub roles where due to specific training certain material should only be seen by those trained. Without creating a new space is there a way in either AD or Confluence where the sub role can be marked and this is identified as a group which can be given permissions?

Many thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2020

Hi

could you point out what your understanding of a role is?

Roles in Confluence are mainly used for System / Confluence admin purposes.

When using AD with Confluence you will see your AD groups depending on your group filter settings. These groups can then be used for:

* Granting access to the Confluence site (Global permissions relevant for license count)

* Defining access and permissions to spaces

* Restricting pages for editing and/or viewing inside spaces

From my point of view the concept you're planning should work.

Best

JP

Martyn_Crass February 16, 2020

Hi @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ , 

Sorry for the delay in replying, it wouldn't accept my reply at work. 

The roles as I see them ar as suggested with the admin rights being the determining factor but I need a sub group that would arch all the admin roles so that I could use this group in the permissions on a page. 

I hope that makes sense. Many thanks for your help. 

MC

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2020

Hi,

just to make sure: There‘re no permissions on pages, only restrictions. Use them carefully, as multiple restrictions are pretty heavy on performance. Try to handle most stuff based on space permissions and keep restrictions to a minimum or at least handle them on top level pages in a page hierarchy. 

Best

JP

Martyn_Crass February 16, 2020

Ok, will do. 

Many thanks 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events