Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users vs Anonymous

Phil Larking January 5, 2014

Hi, I have a confluence solution that allows 99% of the Users read only access, for referencing instructions to their job - these users consume licenses accordingly. I now need to open up the solution for many others to reference, again purely read only.

Given that I need read only for both my people in their job and others to reference our processes, what is the difference in anonymous users and licensed users (and putting aside the cost for User license) ?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2014

A licensed user has an account, has to log in, and consumes a licence "seat".

If you allow "anonymous" browse access to a Confluence space, then they do not need an account, no need to log in and no licence impact. But it does mean that anyone who can see your Confluence can see the space.

Have a look at the space permissions page. I strongly recommend using anonymous for READ only and nothing else.

0 votes
Elise LaTorre January 5, 2014

Other differences are that you cannot "share" a page with anonymous users, nor can anonymous users "watch" a page or space. Some plugins (such as polling macros) only work with named users.

0 votes
Elise LaTorre January 5, 2014

Hi Phil,

Other differences are that you cannot "share" a page with anonymous users, nor can anonymous users "watch" a page or space. Some plugins (such as polling macros) only work with named users.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events