Users vs Anonymous

Hi, I have a confluence solution that allows 99% of the Users read only access, for referencing instructions to their job - these users consume licenses accordingly. I now need to open up the solution for many others to reference, again purely read only.

Given that I need read only for both my people in their job and others to reference our processes, what is the difference in anonymous users and licensed users (and putting aside the cost for User license) ?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

A licensed user has an account, has to log in, and consumes a licence "seat".

If you allow "anonymous" browse access to a Confluence space, then they do not need an account, no need to log in and no licence impact. But it does mean that anyone who can see your Confluence can see the space.

Have a look at the space permissions page. I strongly recommend using anonymous for READ only and nothing else.

Hi Phil,

Other differences are that you cannot "share" a page with anonymous users, nor can anonymous users "watch" a page or space. Some plugins (such as polling macros) only work with named users.

Other differences are that you cannot "share" a page with anonymous users, nor can anonymous users "watch" a page or space. Some plugins (such as polling macros) only work with named users.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

462 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you