cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users cannot use the Confluence system

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2012

Hi,

I have added our company LDAP.

It adds the users correctly, but when users login to the system they are directed to a page saying: Not Permitted.

when I try to add the users to a group (i.e. confulence-users) manually, I get an error:

The following error(s) occurred:

Could not add user 'itziksh' as a member of group 'confluence-users'. Check your server logs for more information.

Please help, as none of my users can use Confluence.

Thanks,

Janiv.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2012

Hi,

Which LDAP configuration are you using? If you're using Read or Read/Write then you need either need to add confluence-users to LDAP or if you've got a group or groups in LDAP already that you'd like to use you can tell Confluence to use those groups in GLobal Permission instead.

If you're using Read Only with Local Groups you can tell Confluence which local groups Confluence should add users to.

Have a look at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory for details.

If that doesn't work could you post the contents of the log file here so we can get some more details on the underlying error?

Thanks,

Andrew.

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2012

Thanks,

As the AD include many users that are not supposed to use Confluence, I'd like to add the user manually.

When I try doing so, I get the error.

How do I edit group manually for users?

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2012

Hi Janiv,

It sounds like you are using the Read Only LDAP configuration (again have a look at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory for details of what this means).

If you want to have users authenticate against AD, but control access to Confluence manually then you need to use one of the following:

For Read Only with Local Groups you would leave the Default Group Membership field blank so that no-one is added automatically to any groups that would give them access to Confluence. For Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication you leave Copy User on Login unchecked so that anyone who should have access to Confluence has to be manually entered into Confluence by a Confluence Administrator.

I hope that answers the question?

Andrew.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

Hi Janiv,

Did my explanations answer the question?

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events