User License for external users comment

Marcelo Pinheiro July 14, 2021

I'm planning to move my server version to data center.

What I need to know is about user license. I'm aware that an user means licensing cost, except by anonymous users.

I'd like to give the external users the permission to comment and like pages only, no other rights like collaborating editing content, etc.

I don't want them to comment as anonymous as this can create a bots creating a mess. 

So, as the user must be logged into the system, but have only comment and like rights, is it necessary to pay for a license for them?

2 answers

0 votes
Sarthak_Jain_miniOrange July 15, 2021

Hi @Marcelo Pinheiro , 

I understand your use case and I feel it’s perfectly logical to not consume your license tier for external users, who just have to comment or like the page.

I am glad to inform you that mo Secure Share Page for Confluence covers your requirements completely.

It allows you to share your Confluence pages with external users with access permissions that you decide, for e.g. viewing comments/attachments, adding comments/attachments.

We also understand that you want to discourage bots from commenting. We have a few ideas for that.

It would be great if we could get in contact! I'm very interested in your input on this.

Please reach out to miniOrange at atlassiansupport@xecurify.com or you can raise a ticket here.

0 votes
bill_bailey July 14, 2021

Under permission settings, there is this note:

If your Confluence site is public, you can grant permissions to people who are not logged in. Anonymous users can be granted almost any permission, but we recommend you limit this to viewing and commenting.

So, no they do NOT consume a licenses as they are not logged in, and they can comment, etc (depending on the permission settings). But you will not know who made the comment, unless the physically type their name in the comment.

Bottom line, only logged-in users count against your license.

Marcelo Pinheiro July 17, 2021

Agreed, however it isn't safe to let anyone commenting in the system. A lot of spam will be there after grant such rights to anonymous.

Give the ability to create an account, having some mail confirmation, and have only comment rights is a bit better.

However doesn't make sense to pay a license unlimited version because comments.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events