Uploading Camtasia video output to Confluence

Serena Ma May 8, 2013

I am creating a screencast with Camtasia and am would like to upload it to Confluence to share with my team. I tried publishing as MP4 and upload to Confluence but it gave me a blank page - what plugin / settings do I need to make it work? (we are using IE 8 and Confluence is hosted within an enclosed network without internet access)

Any idea on:

- what plugin do I need to get the video work in Confluence? - will need to download it separately and load it to the enclosed server

- if anyone has used Camtasia before, what is the best format to publish the video if it is to be uploaded to Confluence? Ideally I'd like to use flash / quicktime as the other formats are far to big after published... but in Camtasia 8, it no longer allows publishing to a swf directly.

Many Thanks!

Serena

4 answers

1 vote
Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2013
If any of the videos are of significant size, you might be better off uploading them to YouTube and using the widget connector to display them. Larger videos tend to work better when streamed, rather than waiting for them to load before playing.
Serena Ma May 9, 2013

My video is around 7-10 MB... but since the server that hosts Confluence is enclosed (no internet access) streaming is not an option for us.

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2013
Those are pretty small - you're probably ok without streaming.
0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2013

Few ideas:

• Try saving out as another format - and see if same issue?
  • For sanity sake, did you try another browser, like Chrome or FireFox just in case?

> My video is around 7-10 MB

• Double check with your admin that you can have attachments that size.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+Attachment+Size

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Hi Serena,

Actually you don't need any plugin, all you need to do is add a content as Multimedia type encoded in one of the folowing formats: "SWF, MOV, WMA, WMV, MPEG, MPG, RAM, RM, MP3, MP4, and AVI".

This is documented on this link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Embedding+Multimedia+Content

Regards.

Serena Ma May 9, 2013

I used insert > Other macros > mutlimedia

but the media didn't load up - sometimes it loads up, but then says it can't access the file.

In the link above, under point 2 notes 'You will need the relevant multimedia plugin for your browser'. That's why I'm wondering if I need a specific plug-in to make it work?

Many Thanks again!!

Serena

Like Josipa Vulic likes this
0 votes
Serena Ma May 8, 2013

just to add more info, we are using Confluence 4.3.7

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events