Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from Confluence 4.2.1 to Confluence 5.4.4

Charles Richard April 9, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade confluence as per the a security alert email that we got about 6 weeks ago.

I have tried to upgrade 4 times now and had to revert each time. The last time, I disabled all plugins except the Gliffy plugin which the Confluence Update Check marked as compatible with Confluence 5.4.4.

I see no errors in my catalina.out (Linux x64 version) and in my atlassian-confluence.log, I see warnings (WARN) but no errors.

I have noticed in the past that Confluence won't start properly unless Jira is running. Should Jira be upgraded first, could that be the issue?

I wanted to upgrade Confluence first as it would have less impact.

Thanks,

Charles

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charles Richard April 9, 2014

I just realized this was because I forgot to add our tomcat connector line back in for our mod_jk connection:

<Connector port="xxxx" redirectPort="xxxx" enableLookups="false" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>

Cheers!

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2014

Hi Charles,

The Confluence startup does not rely on the JIRA however if you are using the JIRA as your user directory, you might not be able login to Confluence using the user from JIRA user directory if there are some issue with the user directories synchronisation.

You mentioned that the upgraded was reverted 4 times now however there are no error in the logs during the ugprade. Did you revert the upgrade because you are unable to login? What is the exact error that you see when you try to access the Confluence. Is there any particular error during the startup?

If you are not able to login after the upgrade, it could possibly due to the synchronisation between the Confluence and external user directory. In that case, I suggest you to create internal administrator user before you upgrade. This way, you can use the internal admin account to login and reconfigure the user directory setting if needed.

Regards,
Jing Hwa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events