Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 7.13.7 to 7.18.3

Clayton Dirkschneider July 21, 2022

I followed the following guide to update our Confluence: Upgrading Confluence | Confluence Data Center and Server 7.18 | Atlassian Documentation

After the install process was finished I went trough the Re-apply any modificiations. Once I was done with these, I started up confluence and waited a good 5 to 8 minutes. I was never able to see the confluence web page as it just spun and spun. I looked at the log and found these in the log:

20-Jul-2022 16:04:13.409 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log 1 Spring WebApplicationInitializers detected on classpath

20-Jul-2022 16:04:13.564 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log Initializing Spring DispatcherServlet 'dispatcher'

16:04:13 [Catalina-utility-2] o.a.c.c.C.[.[.[/synchrony-proxy][INFO] log - Initializing Spring DispatcherServlet 'dispatcher'

2022-07-20 16:04:14,133 INFO [Catalina-utility-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 7.18.3 [build 8804 based on commit hash 8aa9917e1c4021c0b260708b5b793e53b1c270dc] - synchrony version 4.1.0

2022-07-20 16:04:17,260 WARN [Catalina-utility-1] [confluence.impl.setup.DefaultBootstrapDatabaseAccessor] lambda$getBootstrapData$3 Unable to determine finalized build number from database [message: Unknown column 'FINALIZED' in 'where clause']. If you are upgrading from a Confluence version prior to 7.14, this is expected.

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.apache.felix.framework.ext.ClassPathExtenderFactory$DefaultClassLoaderExtender (file:/opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/org.apache.felix.framework-5.6.12.jar) to method java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL)

WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.apache.felix.framework.ext.ClassPathExtenderFactory$DefaultClassLoaderExtender

WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations

WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Exception in thread "I/O dispatcher 7" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Exception in thread "I/O dispatcher 6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "C3P0PooledConnectionPoolManager[identityToken->2sadqaaq85xnv8cjyi6r|2e71817b]-AdminTaskTimer"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "httpclient-io:thread-1"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "diagnostics-http-thread"

Exception in thread "logback-7" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Exception in thread "logback-8" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Exception in thread "logback-6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2022

hello @Clayton Dirkschneider ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The logs seem to indicate you ran out of memory.  You may need to allocate more memory. Here's the knowledgebase article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-fix-out-of-memory-errors-by-increasing-available-memory-154071.html

Clayton Dirkschneider July 25, 2022

I have checked memory. There is 12GB total and only about 4GB is being used.

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

What are the  -Xmx and -Xms values?

4Gb may be enough for regular use.  But updating tables on the database as part of the upgrade operation is causing OutOfMemory errors.  You probably have to change the -Xmx and -Xms, even if temporary.

Clayton Dirkschneider July 27, 2022

I used the article you had sent over and increased the xmx memory limit and that fixed the issue. Thank you!

Like Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2022

Happy to help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events