Upgrading from 5.9.1-OD-65-062 version to the latest, official 5.9.1

Anders Nielsen November 26, 2015

We moved from the cloud to a on-premise confluence (version 5.9.1-OD-65-062. plus JIRA v6.4.11). I have been told that we can move to 5.9.1, but I am hesitant to do so. Do anyone have experience with this? Can it work? will I lose any functionality by doing this?

I have also heard told that I would have to wait for a 5.9.10 version, but I really want to get away from the OD version

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2015

Hi Anders,

It actually depends on the Build Number of your 5.9.1-OD version. In summary Rodrigo's answer is correct, we need to wait for a newer Major version to be able to upgrade, however, I myself was able to upgrade a atlassian-confluence-5.9.1-OD-2015.39.1-0001 to Confluence Server 5.9.1 since the server version had a build number bigger than the OD one:

atlassian-confluence-5.9.1-OD-2015.39.1-0001 -> Build Number = 6170

Confluence Server 5.9.1 -> Build Number = 6207

In this case you can check your confluence.cfg.xml file to make sure whether the Build Number is lower than 6207. If so, make sure to save a backup copy of your database and home directory and go ahead with the upgrade, otherwise you'll need to wait for a newer version to be released.

I hope it helps.

Eduardo

Anders Nielsen December 16, 2015

Hi Eduardo, Sry for the late reply. We've done the upgrade and everything seems to be working fine. didn't know about the confluence.cfg.xml file, I keep that one in mind for later use, thanks.

2 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2015

Hi Anders,

You must upgrade to the next major version of Confluence. It could be 5.10.x or 6.0.x version. You cannot go from 5.9.1 OD to a 5.9.1 server since their build numbers are different. The OD build version is on a higher value, even if the server is using the exact same version.

According to the cloud migration to server documentation:

You must upgrade to a standard Confluence Server release as soon as one is available. For example if you installed 5.5-OD-23, you must upgrade to 5.6 when it is released. Cloud ('OD') releases are supported, but only until the next Confluence Server release is available.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Rodrigo

Anders Nielsen November 30, 2015

Thank you all for answering. I have forwarded suggestions to our hosting provider, and I have marked Rodrigo's reply as the answer, as that does seem to be the case (sadly), but I will pursue Adrien's suggestion as well. 

0 votes
Guilherme V.
Atlassian Team
November 27, 2015

Hey Anders,

As Adrien suggested, you can install the 5.9.1 version in a spare server, create an XML export from the 5.9.1 OD and import it later in your brand new staging server.

You can also generate a developer license in https://my.atlassian.com and use it for test purposes without any problems.

Cheers,

0 votes
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2015

With a (free) evaluation license, you can test the migration and see whether you're happy with the result.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events