Upgrading Confluence from 5.x to 6.15.10

Radecom Automatisering January 4, 2022

Is there someone here to help us with upgrading Confluence 5.x to 6.15.10.

We tried upgrading it several times. But no luck. It keeps ending up in error messages. The last messages we got is that the JRE_HOME environmental table isn't set, while this was set.

I tried Googling this message and tried all options without any luck. We need to update it to a newer version to go the Cloud in the end. 

3 answers

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

There were a number of changes made over the course of Version 6. I would try to upgrade to an earlier version (like the first LTS version) to get through the first set of changes.

And then upgrade to the last LTS version, 6.13.23. That will get you all of the fixes for version 6

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

When I've run into problems upgrading from Jira 5.x to 6.x, it's always been fixed by taking 5.x to 5.10.highest and then upgrading the resulting system again to 6.0 or 6.6, then up to whatever the target version is (the last one was fine jumping from 6.6 to 7.13 - the last long-term-support)

Radecom Automatisering January 5, 2022

Our version is 5.10.0. So that would mean i can go from that version to 5.10.9 and then to 6.15.10?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

I wouldn't bother with 5.10.9.

5.10.1, 5.10.2 and so on, through to 5.10.9 are minor releases (tweaks, bug fixes, corrections), and are very unlikely to introduce anything that's going to make your upgrade to 6.0 or 6.6 easier or more difficult.  I was thinking more about the case where you're starting with 5.1 or 5.2 - those should be taken up to 5.10 before going up to 6.6

That would be upgrading 103 times to get to 6.15.10!?

Is that correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2022

Eh?  What?  Where did you get 103 steps from "5.x to 5.10, then 6.6, then your target version"?  I count 3 in there (and it's only 2 as you're already on 5.10)

So. 5.10.0 (Current) to 6.6 to 6.15.10? (Just want to be clear)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2022

Yes, that's my recommendation.

Like # people like this
Radecom Automatisering January 7, 2022

Well it did not work. After upgrading to version 6.6 i get the error message [The JRE_HOME environmental variable is not defined correctly]

Radecom Automatisering January 7, 2022

Ok that problem is now solved. Next issue is that confluence is not starting up in the browser. Seems like Java and tomcat are starting fine. Jira also works. Just not confluence

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

That's a failure to follow the installation routine, nothing to do with the version you are using.

How is your original Confluence installed?  What did you do differently to the install guide?

Radecom Automatisering January 8, 2022

Just followed the guide step by step, and afterwards it just doesn't work like it should work. I've been trying to upgrade confluence for weeks now without succes...

Radecom Automatisering January 8, 2022

Upgrade to 6.0.1 worked! Upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.6 now. Which looks good, but it seems to get stuck at this point. (image attached)

tomcat.png

Radecom Automatisering January 11, 2022

Since we are at 6.0.1, should I update to 6.0.2 and so on? Small steps?

Bas van Ooteghem January 12, 2022

Anyone any idea? Is my screenshot clear?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

We'd need to see the rest of the log for the full errors.

Bas van Ooteghem January 13, 2022

I managed to upgrade to 6.0.2. Confluence took a very long time to start up (first startup). Is that normal?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

Yes, the upgrade process is two parts - the first part is you physically updating the installation, and then the data needs to be upgraded to the new model.  So when an upgraded system first starts up, there can be a lot of database updates to make before it becomes usable.  Plus a re-index.

Bas van Ooteghem January 14, 2022

After upgrading to 6.6 it seems to be stuck here while starting confluence

tomcat.png

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2022

As the question to troubling upgrade processes repeats recently in Community.
If your own staff gets stucks with migrated trained and skilled partners are available which are experienced in doing upgrades and complex migrations.
You can locate a partner near you from partner directory:
https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2022

If you are on Confluence 5.10 you should be able to just migrate from that to Cloud.  Do you have any more error logs or screenshots of the errors you are seeing after the upgrade?  What environment are you using?

We cannot go from 5.10 to cloud because the cloud migration tool keeps failing, therefor we try to upgrade first to a newer version

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events