Upgrade suggestions for Confluence 5.3.4 to 5.6.6 requested

Teresa Hollidge May 27, 2015

It's time to start preparing to upgrade my Confluence instances again. I'm hoping to upgrade to 5.6.6 from 5.3.4 but will take recommendations from the community on the best path forward. I've reviewed all the release notes and upgrade guides and haven't noted any gotchas but one of you may have additional insight or recommendations.

I have 2 large Confluence instances running 5.3.4 (one running Postgres 8.4.20 & one running Oracle 11.2.0.2.0) that are linked to a JIRA instance running 6.1.7 & JIRA Agile 6.3.6.1. We do have a few custom plugins that we rewrote for the jump from 3.5.17 to 5.3.4. I'd prefer to not upgrade JIRA/JIRA Agile at the same time.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations & thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2015

Hi Teresa,

• Any Confluence version after 5.0 can be Upgraded to Latest version.
  • Please refer to the Documentation
  • Please Upgrade on Staging Environment before Upgrading Production.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chander Inguva

2 votes
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2015

Hello Teresa,

Also remember to Check Add-on Compatibility for the targeted version before upgrading so you can avoid losing any plugin due to incompatibility. smile

Eduardo

Teresa Hollidge June 2, 2015

Thanks Eduardo! I've been making use of this tool - it's very helpful.

1 vote
Alicia Pena May 29, 2015

BTW:  I upgraded from 5.5.6 to 5.6.4 and again to 5.7.3 without any issues.

Confluence 5.7 has so many nice new features that work great with Jira.   If you have application links set to JIRA you can hover over any text in confluence and create a JIRA ticket straight from there with the text you hovered over as the subject line.  It also has great inline document collaboration. By hovering over any text you can add a comment and track if the owner accepts it.  I'd recommend testing an upgrade to 5.7.x in staging first, otherwise you're going through the down time for an upgrade but still missing out on some great features.

Teresa Hollidge June 2, 2015

I agree with your assessment. I believe that I will need to upgrade my JIRA instance in order upgrade the version of application links which is a larger project than I can undertake at this time, but I'll check into it again. My plan will be to follow our Confluence upgrade with an upgrade to our JIRA if we're limited by app links. Thanks! Teresa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events