Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from v3.5.3 to 4.0.4 failed to shutdown service

Huy Ung November 14, 2011

Hi,

When upgrading the current version on the machine to the latest one, it gave an error Confluence failed to shutdown. Please kill the process manually before proceeding.

I checked the service and it was stopped. Previously it was running.

I also tried to stop the service before running the upgrade and it gave the same message.

I checked the machine log and there's nothing there.

Thanks,

Huy

2 answers

0 votes
Huy Ung November 16, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's Windows Server. I tried rebooting the machine and setting the service to manually but still getting the error message.

I have also downloaded MS Internal. Did not see any process coming from that particular folder.

Not sure but the server also have Crowd, Jira and Crucible/FishEye.

It's authenticated using Crowd.

0 votes
Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2011

Since you talk about services, you must be on a Windows server, right?

Even though Windows is telling you that the service is stopped, I would check the process list anyway to check if there are any Java processes running. It might be that there is still a Confluence process running. If more then one Java process is running, then it is difficult to determine which one is Confluence. The best option is to set the Confluence service to start manually and then restart the server. Now Confluence is defenately stopped. Now try to rerun the upgrade tool again.

Remon van G November 15, 2011

FYI: this cmd line entry does the same listing in windows:

WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\temp\ProcessList.txt PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid

Then open C:\temp\ProcessList.txt and kill the process. A tool like the MS sysinternals is real usefull here. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653)

But Sander's advice defenately does the same :)

Huy Ung November 16, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's Windows Server. I tried rebooting the machine and setting the service to manually but still getting the error message.

I have also downloaded MS Internal. Did not see any process coming from that particular folder.

Not sure but the server also have Crowd, Jira and Crucible/FishEye.

It's authenticated using Crowd.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events