Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Confluence 3.0.1 to latest version

Paul Anderson August 16, 2012

We are currently running Confluence 3.0.1 on Windows Server 2003 R2 with a Microsoft SQL database. We would like to upgrade to the newest version.

First Question:

From looking around the site there may be some benefit to running on Linux with a MYSQL database. Is there any additional functionality included when running on Linux vs. Windows?

Second Question:

Could you provide me a upgrade path for upgrading from Confluence 3.0.1 to 4.2.12. I have looked through readme’s and release notes and it talks about making sure you do all proceeding steps. I would like a list of each version that is required so that I can upgrade with the least amount of effort and downtime.

3 answers

1 vote
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2012

Hi Jason,

You're correct, I included the 3.4.9 version because it will help avoiding some user management issues in case you're running Confluence with LDAP. But you can give it a shot and try going straight to 3.5.17 on a test server if you wish.

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2012

Gotcha, that is important to know.

Paul Anderson August 17, 2012

Well my upgrade in test is mostly complete. The upgrade to 3.4.9 went fine. The upgade to 3.5.17 had (go figure) LDAP problems. I *think* i caused part of the problems because on the first start after the upgrade it complained about a line of my ldap config in the error because the upgrade complained about the securityprincipal line in the atlassian-user.xml config. I commented the line. The upgrade completed but I had to setup LDAP under 3.5.17. (It probably would have imported it if I would have fixed and not commented it). The upgrade to 4.2.12 is complete but I can not get any plugins to updated they just get stuck at "Installing plugin....." I am just trying to update the Univeral plugin manager first. I at first tried it via update and now I tried it by using the upload plugin option. Both acted the same. If i look at my Tomcat forground log I see these messages over and over:

Aug 17, 2012 2:58:23 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl _initiate INFO: Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.8-atlassian-6 03/12/2012 02:59 PM'

The java process memory keeps increasing. I keep killing the server because it seems to be taking WAY to long.

None of the logs seems to shed any light.

Any ideas?

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2012

Paul,

I had plugin troubles too when I rolled my upgrade. I disabled all the plugins and followed the step on this question https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/56877/why-space-directory-is-blank to clear the plugin-cache dirs. When I did that I backed up the folders listed there first but, I didn't loose any of the installed plugins or anything else for the matter.

Paul Anderson August 17, 2012

Jason - Thanks.

I was able to unpate all of the plugins except for the Universal Plugin Manager. I can not get it to update it just sits there. Is there a manual update method or should i look for and delete its information out of the directories in the link that Jason provided?

Paul Anderson August 19, 2012

I tried removing the directories in the link and the Universal Plugin Manager will still not upgrade. I will open a ticket if no one else has any ideas.

Paul Anderson August 20, 2012

Jason, I have opened another ticket with Atlassian. They suggested trying tese steps: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Upgrading+the+Universal+Plugin+Manager#UpgradingtheUniversalPluginManager-AlternativewaysofupgradingtheUPM

Which did not work. I also have this community questions and answer: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/79379/universal-plugin-manager-upgrade-will-not-complete that I opened when I created a new Support ticket.

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

Paul I just tried to upgrade the UPM aswell and I am not able to. The only think I can think of that might be preveneting it for my install, aside from an issue with Confluence itself, is that I have no connection to the internet on that server. We use a proxy and I haven't gotten around to setting it up yet.

0 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2012

Paul,

Jason's suggestions seems to be reasonable, you can give it a try. In case you continue experiencing issues, feel free to raise a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com so we can continue troubleshooting this issue there.

0 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2012

Hello Paul,

For the first question, actually there isn't a recommended OS to run Confluence with MySQL, it should work just fine with both OS's. Just be sure that your configuration meets our supported platforms.

For the second question, the recommended upgrade path would be 3.0.1 > 3.4.9 > 3.5.17 > 4.2.12

Hope that helps!

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2012

Why does the upgrade path include 3.4.9? The upgrade guide for 3.5.17 says you can upgrade from 2.7.4 or above to 3.5.17.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events